Yes Paul, one can find needed bike specific information on a variety of forums; somewhere. The trick is weeding it out by doing the proper searches. This is probably one of the best threads I've seen because it touches on both ECU programing and performance hardware upgrades.

In your above, you told me something I didn't know; that Jardines are no longer available.
As I stepped through the performance upgrades on my 07 I learned a bit, that and putting performance mods on other bikes such as Harleys. Trying to find the just the right mix can be a bit dodgy and expensive. For now I'm thinking that the ECU reflash and a set of good mufflers will be a good start. I'll get a good lock at that thing that may or may not be a catalytic converter when I do so. It appears that my two muffler choices are Rhask (if I'm spelling that correctly) and D&D.

Not sure yet about the ram air since it appears to be a sponge and sponges soak up water.

I have to keep in mind that this is not a hot rod Roadster but my touring bike out of which I want to get the optimum performance.
Yes Paul, one can find needed bike specific information on a variety of forums; somewhere. The trick is weeding it out by doing the proper searches. This is probably one of the best threads I've seen because it touches on both ECU programing and performance hardware upgrades.

In your above, you told me something I didn't know; that Jardines are no longer available.
As I stepped through the performance upgrades on my 07 I learned a bit, that and putting performance mods on other bikes such as Harleys. Trying to find the just the right mix can be a bit dodgy and expensive. For now I'm thinking that the ECU reflash and a set of good mufflers will be a good start. I'll get a good lock at that thing that may or may not be a catalytic converter when I do so. It appears that my two muffler choices are Rhask (if I'm spelling that correctly) and D&D.

Not sure yet about the ram air since it appears to be a sponge and sponges soak up water.

I have to keep in mind that this is not a hot rod Roadster but my touring bike out of which I want to get the optimum performance.
Have not experienced a problem with the Ramair and riding in the rain. Have done it more times than I would have liked to but do like the way it sounds.;);););););););) (35,000 miles Rocket X)

Paul Bryant's solution is not only workable and affordable, it's downright elegant kit, Mike, that does justice to the R3T's road presence.

Phil, Paul sent me some pics of his stunning work. No doubt that he's the go to man on exhausts. Beautiful stuff, especially that header. Recall when the Predators were the thing to buy back in 07-08? Didn't you get a set of those? Bad Ass back then.

Sonny, I'm just learning about the ram air intake and was initially a bit cautious when I read that it was a sponge filter because I've experienced water absorption problems with these in the past on different bikes. However, I spent the afternoon in the home theater of of a wild and crazy go fast rider friend and watched a 30 minute video on them. Looks excellent. We also watched a video of 23 different Rocket exhausts and that was a blast, especially that they sounded like they were in the room with us.

I'm now thinking the Ram Air is an excellent upgrade. Back when I was doing upgrades on my 07, triple K&Ns were very popular (Phil, you recall that) but hanging out there in the wind, required "socks" during heavy rain, like those mounted on the Indian Chiefs, was not my cuppa. I now think the Ram Air is pretty well protected. And also I had to wonder today when I'll be riding in heavy rain again in the next few years. Not very often I think.

I'll add the Ram Air to my potential upgrade list. Again I emphasize that I am still in the discovery mode on my Touring. I've got much to learn yet and trying hard to do so. I continue to appreciate all comments and recommendations.

Last edited:
Foam does not have to mean SPONGE. Also (ime) the coating (it's not oil) that RamAir uses appears to be hydroscopic. It seems NOT to to do the chirping cricket thing that K&Ns do - well not as much anyway.

IME the RamAir benefits from two things. Both of which provide better COOL AIR FLOW.

An air dam/heat shield to stop some of the hot air from above the motor being drawn in.

And also from the OZCLAW - this may not fit the "T" though. ime the OZclaw needs to fitted without the sound damping foam lining - otherwise it obdurates a lot of the RAMAIR filter surface. Other wise I would look for a another "T-claw" and open up the outside somehow.

Without decent cross flow - any filters under the claw will draw in air either across teh engine - OR pull air up from below it - where there is radiator and oiltank warmed air.

Ladies and gents,
I have had more than a few calls about Touring model performance. This should help out more than a few of you.

The Touring models are the same except for the exhaust and ECU calibration. BOTH are very restricted.The ECU controls the secondary throttles and actually closes them at higher rpm and higher gears. In the exhaust, the header is the same, but the box after the header is very restrictive. Slip-ons (TORS and D&D) really don't do much except for sound.

Neither do air filters under the seat. Triple K&N RU-2780 filters make a bit more from 4000-5500 rpm, but have the same peak power output as the stock air filter. The stock intake plenum and ducting actually makes more torque under 3000 rpm than triple RU-2780 filters under the bearclaw. It is not until you go to a full exhaust system that the RU-2780 filters make a difference.

A stock R3T or one with a slip-on exhaust tends to make ~86 hp on my dyno (~ 13% lower than a Dynojet), and 130-131 ft-lb of torque. Simply re-calibrating the ECU (mapping) tends to result in 115-117 hp, and 140-142 ft-lb of torque. A very nice improvement.

Attached is a "tune" for stock and slip-on exhaust R3T models, as well as a graph of output differences. Dashed lines are torque. Red is an R3T with TORS and stock air filter. Yellow is after tuning. This resulted in 43+ mpg cruising at 70 mph on 87 octane fuel. Speedo corrected for stock tire. Speed limiter raised. Ignition timing improved in lower gears. ENJOY!

You can also find this map on Tom Hamburg's TuneECU.com site under the custom Triumph tunes section.

R3T TORS graph.jpg
So I have to ask, if I buy that nice 2008 tour model on eBay will I be able to do this and get 43mpg and that kind of power improvement? Why did they detune the tour models so bad? What kind of rpm are the tour models turning at 70mph?

Triumph (no knowledge here - only speculation) tuned for torque on the Touring, for effortless starts from standing and no-hassle up and down inclines, all the while keeping the pillion happy.

And power generally comes through feeding more hydrocarbons to the engine, so is inverse to mileage. Not nice to fool Mother Nature.

The salesmen suggested to me the touring models frame isn't designed for triple digit speeds and recommended I stick with the roadster model if I intend modding the engine. I generally don't pay much attention to what salesmen have to say tho'.

my Touring spends quite a bit of time in triple digit speeds, and it has never been a problem, it handles them quite well, and hopefully once I have the new suspension in place it will handle them even better, I can corner that bike better than most of the fools in this city on their ****** rockets

I have issues with a high speed wobble, actually more of a slow rotation back and forth along it's longitudinal axis, at speeds above 120 or 130, I haven't been able to track it down yet. Tried tightening steering head bearings, next step is to replace them. I suspected the windshield, it wasn't that.

Back