This is the inside of the Roadster/Touring cross over pipe.
As you can see the Exhaust has quite a convoluted path to get out.
The CATs are in both the Roadster and Touring Mufflers.
The free flow pipe still does make a noticeable difference.

IMG_0619.JPG
ITS all garbage that should be removed

Thanks for that information Bob. It is now becoming a bit more clear why Triumph doesn't manufacturer a cat eliminator for the Tourings and the Roadsters that have two mufflers instead of three. It is probably because the cats are in the mufflers for all of them, well, possibly.

The cat eliminator I had on my 07 was something like what you build Paul, a set of cross over pipes and I could feel the difference immediately. It appears that what Triumph did in order not to have to fabricate a new set of exhaust plumbing when they put the cats in the mufflers was to modify existing cat boxes, without the regular cat internals. It obviously works; kind of. It reminds me of discussions way beck in 07 on one of the other Rocket forums in which riders, not wanting to spend the money on the eliminator, gutted the existing very heavy cat box. The results were generally not good.

I'm trying to sort yours out. It appears that the "female" end at the top of the pic of your eliminator accepts the header pipe while the right side pipe goes into the right muffler. Since there is no bend in the long pipe to the left muffler, I assume the left muffler has a 90 bend in it. I've only had mine a couple of weeks so haven't examined it very closely yet.

I must say I was disappointed when I rode with the members of my club yesterday afternoon, the Veteran's of Foreign Wars Rider Group. They ride very aggressively, all on tuned Harleys. I was the last one in line and they'd take off with throttles wide open, on bikes they'd had for awhile. I on my Rocket with all but 200 miles of riding it was bringing up the rear. I'd start to catch up with them when they'd slow down to 70-75. I was having a bit of trouble even handling the R3T in turns, just not being used to it, so was constantly falling back a bit and playing catch up.

Edit: IMFASTOO. I think you're probably correct to get the maximum performance but it depends on what is "good enough" performance.

Last edited:
Thanks for that information Bob. It is now becoming a bit more clear why Triumph doesn't manufacturer a cat eliminator for the Tourings and the Roadsters that have two mufflers instead of three. It is probably because the cats are in the mufflers for all of them, well, possibly.

The cat eliminator I had on my 07 was something like what you build Paul, a set of cross over pipes and I could feel the difference immediately. It appears that what Triumph did in order not to have to fabricate a new set of exhaust plumbing when they put the cats in the mufflers was to modify existing cat boxes, without the regular cat internals. It obviously works; kind of. It reminds me of discussions way beck in 07 on one of the other Rocket forums in which riders, not wanting to spend the money on the eliminator, gutted the existing very heavy cat box. The results were generally not good.

I'm trying to sort yours out. It appears that the "female" end at the top of the pic of your eliminator accepts the header pipe while the right side pipe goes into the right muffler. Since there is no bend in the long pipe to the left muffler, I assume the left muffler has a 90 bend in it. I've only had mine a couple of weeks so haven't examined it very closely yet.

I must say I was disappointed when I rode with the members of my club yesterday afternoon, the Veteran's of Foreign Wars Rider Group. They ride very aggressively, all on tuned Harleys. I was the last one in line and they'd take off with throttles wide open, on bikes they'd had for awhile. I on my Rocket with all but 200 miles of riding it was bringing up the rear. I'd start to catch up with them when they'd slow down to 70-75. I was having a bit of trouble even handling the R3T in turns, just not being used to it, so was constantly falling back a bit and playing catch up.

Edit: IMFASTOO. I think you're probably correct to get the maximum performance but it depends on what is "good enough" performance.
GET rid of that stock exhaust system its heavy and restrictive its a lot easier to keep up with 40 to 50lbs less weight and another 45 t0 50 HP with the proper exhaust system and tuning

GET rid of that stock exhaust system its heavy and restrictive its a lot easier to keep up with 40 to 50lbs less weight and another 45 t0 50 HP with the proper exhaust system and tuning

Yep, I'm still on the search for the proper system for the Touring. About the only slip ons I know of are the D&Ds at around $800. I' haven't determined who makes headers yet and, like when I had my 07, there were few options.

I don't think it will be difficult to keep up with my Harley riding buddies. I just have to get used to the Touring handling and darn but now we're coming into winter. Upgrades will be a good winter project.

@Navigator you have the advantage of many having gone before you and blazed those paths. Not that you won't blaze your own, just it would be good to be informed as you go ahead.

This site represent hundreds of man-years of accumulated knowledge, just as the Navy employs thousands of civilians in Crystal City and elsewhere so we don't forget the painful lessons of war on the water.

When I first got here in 2014 late, Jardines were great, and by the time I was ready to act, no longer made.

I recognized the advantage of losing all the weight associated with the crossover and second muffler, and replaced both mufflers and crossover with a nice slip-on can from @Dain .

After reading more, I ordered a header setup from another member @Paul Bryant .

That was good, and in between I installed RAMAir, and a couple of different engine maps from @HansO .

In my progression, I now have a matching can from @Paul Bryant - new from him as I don't care to wake up the neighborhood nor incur their ire when I leave in the morning -- and I may be done with hardware changes for a while.

There seems to be a consensus here that you can get most of the way there for performance on the Touring just by changing the map.

Since folks make changes, the generic map can only be close, and a dynamometer-based map adjustment is needed to get the most out of any given configuration.

After that, it's fun to read about folks who have installed components from @Neville Lush , and others who opted for a variation on Carpenter Racing's offerings, and still others who opted for a variation on the TTS offerings -- all of these adding significantly to the size of the required play budget.

Before you go down that route, you need to set aside something for the Rocket suspension - another item that will positively affect your confidence on the road.

And above all, keep us posted, with photos a big plus.

Yes Paul, one can find needed bike specific information on a variety of forums; somewhere. The trick is weeding it out by doing the proper searches. This is probably one of the best threads I've seen because it touches on both ECU programing and performance hardware upgrades.

In your above, you told me something I didn't know; that Jardines are no longer available.
As I stepped through the performance upgrades on my 07 I learned a bit, that and putting performance mods on other bikes such as Harleys. Trying to find the just the right mix can be a bit dodgy and expensive. For now I'm thinking that the ECU reflash and a set of good mufflers will be a good start. I'll get a good lock at that thing that may or may not be a catalytic converter when I do so. It appears that my two muffler choices are Rhask (if I'm spelling that correctly) and D&D.

Not sure yet about the ram air since it appears to be a sponge and sponges soak up water.

I have to keep in mind that this is not a hot rod Roadster but my touring bike out of which I want to get the optimum performance.

Curious the unstated biases that blind us in the choices we make.

There are many more muffler choices than the two you list.

And how would your experience be so different than the many folks on here who have RAMAir and ridden in the rain without issue (at least from the filter) ?

To each their own.

Should have qualified my comment on mufflers, that is, "production", i.e., commercially available mufflers that will replace the existing stockers in size and shape. I've known that Paul Bryant builds some very nice exhausts for Rockets and also classic bikes. I just received and responded to a nice PM from him this morning.

Of the production builders I only know two; the ones I mentioned above. I always enjoy being enlightened though. Cobra, Vance & Hines, Thunderheader, Bub-Reinhart?????

Unstated bias'? Blinds us?

Last edited:
Back