R3R Wheelie Discussion

I use the same method steel does, though, I don't do it often out of mechanical sympathy for the forks since I'm not the greatest at landing them gently lol.

Clutching up, will let you raise the front with more control once you get good at it (I'm not), but, please don't try to learn how to clutch up on an R3. It's easy to burn up the clutch or loop the bike if you screw up.

There are some great how to videos on the you of tubes to slowly learn clutch ups.

Claviger, clutch up is great for light bikes and what I've read about the R3R's clutch and ease of burning it leads me away from that technique. Plus I haven't done it for years, haven't had a light bike for a long time. I'm leaning more towards power wheelie from a slow roll and shifting body weight back and using rear brake to moderate angle. I'm hopping some rocket capt here can confirm best approach. And great article about decel popping.

warp9.9 sounds like a natural bad a$$, wheelie at 100+ on a Rocket, how do you fit your balls on the saddle?

Thanks.

JR

Really it's easy, 1st gear, 2k rpms steady, snap open to 50% or so, it'll come right up. Just like a speed triple or Daytona or nearly any Ducati, only RPMs are lower on the R3.

Or, in the case of a built bike, pin the throttle in 2nd and hold to redline lol, starts lifting at about 75 and ends about 2 feet up at 105ish, even leaned fully forward (or in the case of TTS bikes 3rd lol).

I should at least day this... I think it looks great to wheelie a giant bike like the R3, but good God if you drop it, it's going to do a phenomenal amount of damage to it.

Last edited:
I like the power wheelies in first and it’s easy. Roll on a bit roll off and snap back on the throttle. I have to admit I’ve let it down hard a few times and it sounds rough on the forks. If they tear up I’ll buy more.;) Never do I want the bike up to the balance point.:eek:

Second gear is tougher but I can get a few inches with the same technique but I’ve got some motor mods. I have clutched it up a few times but I know that’s hard on the bike. I’ve about had my arms jerked out of socket a few times so I’m afraid of that pain. No crap I have felt pulled muscles or tendons or some crap in my arms and that makes a man settle down.:(

Wide open power shifts to third just give rear end break loose and squiggle.:whitstling:

Have fun but be smart.

Had my 2016 3ft off the ground one day whilst dragging my cobber on his Storm away from a set of lights...got a touch of vertigo and set her down again!!...the look an my mates face was enuff to not want to try again!!"F*CK!!!..thought you were going over backwards!"he yelled!....we both laughed and scooted off....

Back