R3R Wheelie Discussion

Hubguru

It's Throttle Time!
Ride
2017 Rocket III Roadster, 2012 Kopavi V8 Trike
Hey Folks,

I'd like some feedback on single wheel fun and techniques used to achieve with such a heavy bike.

Legal Disclaimer: Kid's, Don't try this at home!

Personally I really enjoy power-takeoffs with the front wheel off the ground a few inches, me leaning forward for maximum traction and acceleration. I managed to get into second gear a couple times without front wheel hitting pavement but only if my angle is a bit higher, maybe front wheel a foot or more off the ground. I haven't had the nerve to lean back and stand the bike straight up, I don't feel comfortable with the bikes weight. When my angle gets above 45* I tend to let off the throttle, front wheel hits the pavement reminding me of the 800+ pounds I'm trying to manage. It's unnerving.

I've watched some youtube videos but mostly these guys are pro's doing what they do. I'm curious to hear from this group on the topic.

Thanks

JR

Well it really only depends on setting of the boost limiting valve so you can apply the throttle with dumping yourself on you arse. I find no more then 5 psi is great for take offs depending on sea level and how fast you spool up. But hey I hate wheelies and would rather wrinkle the pavement :) now I will bow out before you find out what accidents can accomplish :)

Well it really only depends on setting of the boost limiting valve so you can apply the throttle with dumping yourself on you arse. I find no more then 5 psi is great for take offs depending on sea level and how fast you spool up. But hey I hate wheelies and would rather wrinkle the pavement :) now I will bow out before you find out what accidents can accomplish :)
says he who was filmed lifting the front wheel when changing up to 3rd at around 100mph. :D:D

Guess I'll start with a disclaimer too: I'm not responsible if you burn up the motor. :whitstling:
I'm on my 3rd set of upper and lower casses, crank shaft, and connecting rods. Apparently the oiling system is not efficient with the front end too high in the air.:(
The R3 is a torque monster, and power wheelies in 1st gear are fairly easy. I never rev the motor and pop the clutch. A slow roll of 5-10 mph, and roll hard (3/4) on the throttle will lift the front end of a stock R3. Never let off fast, or she will land hard. If she comes up too fast or high, let off a little until you feel it quit climbing, then roll hard into the throttle so she sets down softer.

Back