R3 GT 2020: oil consumption

check your oil running and tell us what it is?

I apologize for asking all these questions without even explaining what i was trying to do
what i am trying to do is 1st i am trying to find out where the oil is going and 2nd trying to get a test so the r3 forum can know what is happing before they take it and hand it into the hands of the dealer which may or may not know what they r doing.
if i am to do this i will need feed back from the guys that r having oil disappear.

I have 1500 miles on the bike and never checked the oil. When I buy or lease a new car I never ever check the oil because one expects it would be fine.
Why are we supposed to check the oil on a brand new bike with a refined or new engine? Never checked it on my Indian with ~19k miles. I figure if it's not leaking, spitting oil from the filter or anywhere else then it should still be there!
Am I the only one who doesn't check his bike's oil?
Don't mean to hijack the thread but just curious.

My oil levels from 900 (after 1st service) miles to 9500 dropped maybe a MM, if at all. It was dead center of the markers on the dipstick at the beginning and the end.
Going to assume they used Castrol power1.

Last edited:
I think most of us are like that
But on the new triumphs they better keep an eye on them till they make sure the oil level stays good.

I have 1500 miles on the bike and never checked the oil. When I buy or lease a new car I never ever check the oil because one expects it would be fine.
Why are we supposed to check the oil on a brand new bike with a refined or new engine? Never checked it on my Indian with ~19k miles. I figure if it's not leaking, spitting oil from the filter or anywhere else then it should still be there!
Am I the only one who doesn't check his bike's oil?
Don't mean to hijack the thread but just curious.😊
HA! That's my trick! I do not check the oil. I have it serviced before the recommended interval but leave the dipstick alone!
!

NO LEAKS, NO SMOKE, NO LOW PRESSURE WARNINGS....NO CHECKING! I used to be crazy checking oil levels in my cars and bikes. Now...no engine check, no leakage, no checky!

I'm the same on bikes I know don't use oil. BMWs always smoke a little after being on side stand for a while, and both mine are older, so I do check them

Mine sounds better after I brought the oil level back to the middle... I lost one engine in a different model once because not checking oil consumption, so I just check more often.

Dear R3 owners, I am not a mechanic, my English is not as good as expected but I need your advice and help and I thank you in advance for that.

I put 6.509 miles in the new R3 after first service and I am obliged to add 0.11 quarter (0,1 litre) of oil every 250 miles (400 km)to keep the level above 1/4" (6 mm) minimum level on the stick (I am using the Triumph "cold" method of measurement).

That means a consumption of oil close to 0.43 quarters / 1000 miles (0,25 litres / 1000 km). According to me it is 3 times over normal oil consumption.
I have never seen that with any of my previous bikes ( as for example: Triumph Rocket 3 2300 and Sprint 900, Honda 350, Suzuki 800 vs, HD 88, HD 110 ....) and 3 of them (Triumph and HD) have been bought to and maintained by the same dealership.

R3 2.5: There is no fume, no oil leak, and exhaust is not greasy. I only can see some dark "material" going out of the exhaust after a few seconds and during a few seconds when I started the engine (picture: see what it can be seen on white sheet of paper leaking from left exhaust). The transparent liquid around dark spots is water and is understandable (condensed water).

Saying that to my dealership, the answer from Triumph was: until 1.7 quarters of oil consumed every 1000 miles, is acceptable (1 litre / 1000 km).

What do you think about and what do you suggest (I will have my second Dealership service after one year on Thursday) ?

Capture d’écran 2021-06-29 à 17.27.42.png
i bought mine 2nd hand in may this year 2021 from a dealer mine was 18 months old owned by a hinckley triumph director with 405 miles only on the clock .
since owning it till now have done another 3k miles have had to top it up with nearly 2 litres of engine oil bit worrying as ive had vans with a similar size engine and they dont burn any amount of oil ????

Back