R3 GT 2020: oil consumption

Bigger bore, could be ring package problem? Good place manufactures are skimpin, its a M8 problem, cheap rings. 1.7qts pee 1000mi isnt good, right?????

Please see attached my oil consumption with is a bit higher than 1 quarter per 3 thousands miles. I never had this with any previous bike or car. (Sometimes the Rocket generates a blue smoke when I start the bike with cold engine).
R3  Oil versus miles.png

Asking about to Triumph through my dealership (who sold and did the maintenance to my previous R3 2.3), Triumph will not do anything as they consider that the engine could need as far as 1.7 quarter per 1 000 miles ! I will not add any comment about that as I am French and it could be considered as English bashing.
Sorry to hear that. My son ran into this with a Chrysler product. A brand new car consuming way too much oil and Chrysler said they wouldn't fix it unless it was more than (can't remember the exact amount but it was something like this) quarts per 1000 miles. I think that is unacceptable. Every new vehicle I have bought in the last 20 years, I didn't need to add any oil between oil changes.

When I discovered this oil consumption I was quite crazy.
Considering that the bike is working very good and I am happy with it, despite poor shock absorber, I think oil consumption is not a huge issue today (even it is bad on a mechanical point of view).
My dealership is aware from the beginning and I paid for additional 3 years warranty.

Looking at the cost to ride 1 000 miles:
Gas represents : 240 $ today
Oil represents : 4 $
I can live with these few extra dollars per thousand of miles, as far as the engine is working "properly"

I have an appointment,tment for the 3rd maintenance (2 years) easy July. Let see what they will find..

in 36+ thousand kms I have rarely had to top mine up. I check it using the triumph method and once it has half way between the high and low level marks I leave it alone. In fact it seems to be using less oil lately. I use fully synthetic oil, 15W50 grade.

My HD V-Rod Muscle burned through a quart every 1k miles for the first 5k miles. After that it was fine and I never had to add oil between 5k oil changes. 😎

Back