R3 Forged Crank

Photos above of Todd Nelson's brand new R3 crank from Triumph. Easy to see that it is forged, and also has fillet radii in journal corners. Jerry will take photos of the stock rods when he gets to them, but no doubt they are also forged just as Scott (Warp9.9) reports. This is very good news... with forged pistons and Carpenter valve train the R3 should go to 9000 RPM! You guys have a great Summer!
OUR valve train will let the engine rev without valve float

I note that you offer pistons as part of your kit, but not rods. If the pistons are the same weight as stock (according to your website they are) will the engine run reliably to 9000rpm with stock rods?

high rpm

I note that you offer pistons as part of your kit, but not rods. If the pistons are the same weight as stock (according to your website they are) will the engine run reliably to 9000rpm with stock rods?
IF your planning on running high rpm on a regular basis then it would be wise to use the upgraded components

Now chaps, if i can add my ten pence to this. Cos i live in the uk, i have been to said triumph factory. Now if memory serves me corectly, the cranks are drop forged with everything straight in line. When they get to the factory, they are then put in a machine and heated up till they are soft, and are then twisted to get everything in the right place. After that they go into another machine which does some kind of plasma/induction hardening thing on all the bearing bits.

So on that basis, they are deffo forged.

Dazzy:D

plasma/induction hardening is a form of a poor mans eletro induction Heat treatment where has cheaper tooling cost do to point on local aplication. Basically they did not want to spend the cash on induction tooling to surround the whole journal diameter. this still will produce a martensitic structure to a depth of .10-.20 mm from the surface then leaving sparatic bands of austenite as you let the base metal inside draw the temperature down to form the martensite. Hopefully they anneal the structure after heating it to a point of elasticity to twist the rods journals into location. I wish they had opted for some type of cyanide bath or carbonitride method so the structure was more uniform. Is all about the money when it come to making mass quantities.

Last edited:
Back