Quick Shifter Installed R3 GT

I don’t know if they’re comparable but BMW is explicit that upshifts are done with steady throttle and downshifts are done with closed throttle. The Rocket manual doesn’t say anything about this. Upshifting the BMW when the rpm are too low results in a clunk. I can get a smooth 1st to 2nd but only if the rpm are over 5k (or more). Unless Triumph has done a lot better with the QS, you will need enough revs on to get a smooth shift.
The BMW quick shifter is not even in the same league as the triumph shifter. I found the BMW quick shifter more finicky and clunky than the Triumph version. They are not comparable.

The BMW quick shifter is not even in the same league as the triumph shifter. I found the BMW quick shifter more finicky and clunky than the Triumph version. They are not comparable.
Yes I agree. My QS on the S1000rr is far FAR less well-implemented than on the Triumph. On the BMW is certainly does not work well at low RPM, at low throttle openings, and it sometimes doesn't work at all from 4th to 5th at 10,000+ rpm (which is very scary). If the Triumph is a 8/10 on the scale of effectiveness the BMW is a 3/10. My BMW is a 2015 maybe they have improved their implementation but I def don't think it's comparable to the Triumph TSA.

Yes I agree. My QS on the S1000rr is far FAR less well-implemented than on the Triumph. On the BMW is certainly does not work well at low RPM, at low throttle openings, and it sometimes doesn't work at all from 4th to 5th at 10,000+ rpm (which is very scary). If the Triumph is a 8/10 on the scale of effectiveness the BMW is a 3/10. My BMW is a 2015 maybe they have improved their implementation but I def don't think it's comparable to the Triumph TSA.
Good to know. Someone had mentioned that the BMW requires 5000 rpm to shift smoothly and I figured the R3 would be in the ball park. I don't think i've even come close to this RPM range on the R3, at least not yet.
But if it's smooth at 2000 that is very acceptable.
Thanks for the info.

Good to know. Someone had mentioned that the BMW requires 5000 rpm to shift smoothly and I figured the R3 would be in the ball park. I don't think i've even come close to this RPM range on the R3, at least not yet.
But if it's smooth at 2000 that is very acceptable.
Thanks for the info.
You're welcome. There really isn't a comparison at low rpm/small throttle openings between the two. I mean very different engines but it seems the Triumph is far better at quick shifting at all RPMs and markedly so at low RPMs when compared to the BMW. I have not tried any other QS other than on my 2015 S1000RR. Most people seem very happy with the TSA with just a few guys saying they're less than thrilled, and most of those appear, to me, to have installation and calibration issues given how they describe their impressions.

So your Rocket QS is just as smooth from 1st to 2nd at 2500 rpm as it is at 5000 rpm? I certainly can’t do it smoothly at 3000 rpm, possibly because 1st is significantly taller on my BMW than on the Rocket compared with 2nd and 3rd.

So your Rocket QS is just as smooth from 1st to 2nd at 2500 rpm as it is at 5000 rpm? I certainly can’t do it smoothly at 3000 rpm, possibly because 1st is significantly taller on my BMW than on the Rocket compared with 2nd and 3rd.
Yeah, it's good at all RPMs. There's a sweet spot for each gear for the smoothest gear changes and the ratios from gear to gear play a role in that. But I feel it's getting better over time there is an adaptation I believe in the ECU for this and the ignition cut seems to be dynamic depending on RPM, throttle position and possibly even lean angle. I find the shifts when in a curve are less abrupt than when WOT on a straight. Could be in my head, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was lean-angle sensitive and worked with TC to keep things in order and going the correct direction when shifting coming out of a curve.

That’s interesting. I mainly use the downshift which is smooth and convenient. Upshift when wailing.

That’s interesting. I mainly use the downshift which is smooth and convenient. Upshift when wailing.
I use it unless I'm in slow traffic or going through a neighborhood or any situation where I'm not actively accelerating. It is smooth at lower revs as long as you're in the act of accelerating. And I always downshift with it. It's a beautiful product.

I use it unless I'm in slow traffic or going through a neighborhood or any situation where I'm not actively accelerating. It is smooth at lower revs as long as you're in the act of accelerating. And I always downshift with it. It's a beautiful product.
Well you have convinced me. I will certainly try to get one fitted at my next service.

Back