Quick Shifter Installed R3 GT

Yeah it’s not smooth at all, with the throttle pinned you can feel it cut the ignition then hook the gear and it surges, down is better obviously with the speed matched, at slower speed it does the same but defo lurches into gear as opposed to slides in.
Well, I would have it looked at. That's NOT how I would describe my shifts. It's not as smooth as with the clutch, for sure, but it's a whole lot faster. It's far more abrupt than with a well-implemented clutch shift but it's not lumpy by any means. It reminds me of a dual-clutch shift in a sports car. They are never velvety smooth like a torque converter tranny but what you give up in the smoothness you gain in spades for more spirited driving.

Well, I would have it looked at. That's NOT how I would describe my shifts. It's not as smooth as with the clutch, for sure, but it's a whole lot faster. It's far more abrupt than with a well-implemented clutch shift but it's not lumpy by any means. It reminds me of a dual-clutch shift in a sports car. They are never velvety smooth like a torque converter tranny but what you give up in the smoothness you gain in spades for more spirited driving.
It’s possible the tech didn’t set it up correctly, I’m going to let them know the score and see what there response is. I have a choice of dealers near me so it shouldn’t be hard to get it squared away.

Got mine installed this weekend too. Paid about $180 for the labor to install and about $350 (if I remember correctly) for the parts. I had to find the GT shift lever at a dealer at the other side of the country because they were back-ordered and my dealer couldn't get one for months (they were able to get the solenoid kit quickly though).

Frustrated on the drive home from the dealer that it was not smooth at all and wouldn't shift unless I was at just the right RPM and throttle. Turns out they had left the system disabled. Enabled TSA in the menu and now it's smooth like buttah! LOVE being able to have the throttle pinned and just bang through the gears.

I agree it's not as smooth as a clutched shift, but it's MUCH faster and it's smooth enough that I'd feel plenty comfortable up-shifting while powering out of a corner. I'd describe the feeling as a very satisfying "THUNK" on the upshifts. Downshifts depend a lot on your throttle position. If you're fully off-the throttle, it'll rev to match speed and complete the shift, but then immediately snap back to your throttle position which can make it feel somewhat less than smooth. Bringing your throttle up to the expected state while you're shifting though really makes downshifts much smoother.

This experience with dealers and quick shifters is depressing, although I would expect it from my former Triumph dealer. If you can’t install the shift rod correctly, you shouldn’t be a mechanic. The rest is plugging it in. The variables are shift pressure, the lag time before it senses pressure and when it cuts the ignition, and the duration of the cut. There must be defaults for these. How do you screw this up? Note that people on the Tiger 900 forum are also having QS issues.

Having mine installed tomorrow along with first service. Definitely going to double-check that it's enabled before I ride off.

I'm looking forward to it primarily for downshifts. I habitually upshift clutchless on any bike, but I've never gotten the hang of clutchless downshifting. For upshifting, it's going to be difficult to undo years of throttle roll-off muscle memory.

I'm curious if the adjustment procedure is a one-time thing, or perpetual ("Ride the motorcycle for 10 seconds in each gear to enable the gear position sensor to adapt.") In other words, if the mechanic neglects that bit will it happen automatically as I ride.

I had mine fitted today and to be fair I’m not that impressed, it’s lumpy at best, bit of fun when punching it but I’d say it’s far from smooth, it’s enabled in the menus so unless the tech didn’t set it up correctly it’s not all that.
I ordered mine today, and 1 hour later I read your post and called the dealer and cancelled. The bike is so fantastic as is, I didn't want them to eff something up.
Maybe sometime down the road I'll get it done.

I ordered mine today, and 1 hour later I read your post and called the dealer and cancelled. The bike is so fantastic as is, I didn't want them to eff something up.
If the dealer can’t square it away I’ll be removing it, it’s not worth it and has very little purpose if that’s the best it works but as others have said it’s smooth I’ll persevere and see how it goes.

I ordered my quick-shifter with the bike but only received it later due to stock shortages. I installed it myself, and upon noticing the R versus GT setup instruction variables, I arranged with my dealer that I would attend that specifically when I would bring it in. Ten minutes on the dealer tool, I did the adaptation ride myself, and it is worth the expense many times over. You will not regret it - neither will your Rocket.

I don’t know if they’re comparable but BMW is explicit that upshifts are done with steady throttle and downshifts are done with closed throttle. The Rocket manual doesn’t say anything about this. Upshifting the BMW when the rpm are too low results in a clunk. I can get a smooth 1st to 2nd but only if the rpm are over 5k (or more). Unless Triumph has done a lot better with the QS, you will need enough revs on to get a smooth shift.

I have been following this thread with interest and confusion.
My annual service is due in July and I was going to get the QS fitted at the same time. I don't ride the bike bike like I stole it, so don't need quicker shifts for this reason, I was hoping that it would smooth out gear changes during "normal" riding (to save the odd helmet bash with the wife when she is on the back). After reading recent posts I am not so sure the QS will do what I wanted. Any thoughts before I order?

Back