Quick Shifter Installed R3 GT

I have been following this thread with interest and confusion.
My annual service is due in July and I was going to get the QS fitted at the same time. I don't ride the bike bike like I stole it, so don't need quicker shifts for this reason, I was hoping that it would smooth out gear changes during "normal" riding (to save the odd helmet bash with the wife when she is on the back). After reading recent posts I am not so sure the QS will do what I wanted. Any thoughts before I order?
I’m starting to feel like the issue is with dealer ability and due diligence during installation and calibration, the results are to varied for it to be limited to a less then optimal part.

I don’t know if they’re comparable but BMW is explicit that upshifts are done with steady throttle and downshifts are done with closed throttle. The Rocket manual doesn’t say anything about this. Upshifting the BMW when the rpm are too low results in a clunk. I can get a smooth 1st to 2nd but only if the rpm are over 5k (or more). Unless Triumph has done a lot better with the QS, you will need enough revs on to get a smooth shift.
I got the shift assist installed before picking up the bike, and delivery was delayed a few hours as they couldn’t get it to work properly. They ended up calling Triumph directly to get it sorted and ended up putting a few k’s on the clock in test rides all up. I can attest it is very smooth in normal use, but yes you have to have open throttle on up shifts and closed on down. It will basically block the downshift if you don’t. And at low revs on a lazy throttle it isn’t particularly happy. It is way faster on up shifts under power than I could manage with the clutch, and you don’t have to have “steady” throttle to do it, it just cuts the revs, shifts and gives you control back. Highly recommended - assuming it gets fitted right!

My annual service is due in July and I was going to get the QS fitted at the same time. I don't ride the bike bike like I stole it, so don't need quicker shifts for this reason, I was hoping that it would smooth out gear changes during "normal" riding (to save the odd helmet bash with the wife when she is on the back). After reading recent posts I am not so sure the QS will do what I wanted. Any thoughts before I order?
Out of curiosity how does your wife like the back seat? I'm wondering if I'd need to invest in a corbin for my wife's piece of mind. I have a corbin on my Indian and she loves it. Took her for a 150 mile ride on my Kawasaki Meanstreak and she was in agony.

Same here. I thought it shifted smoother and faster but did not require high revs for that to happen. That's why I changed my mind. The clutch is so easy and smooth to begin with shifting is actually a pleasure compared to my Indian. Knowing it likes higher revs to "easy shift", I figure I won't be using it much, especially where I live, there a cop car between every gear, and I don't think they'll accept "officer, I was accelerating so that the quick shifter works a little better" explanation.

Out of curiosity how does your wife like the back seat? I'm wondering if I'd need to invest in a corbin for my wife's piece of mind. I have a corbin on my Indian and she loves it. Took her for a 150 mile ride on my Kawasaki Meanstreak and she was in agony.
The wife loves the Rocket seat. To be honest, after 20 years of sports bikes and sitting on something not much thicker that a beer mat, anything is a pleasure!

The wife loves the Rocket seat. To be honest, after 20 years of sports bikes and sitting on something not much thicker that a beer mat, anything is a pleasure!
I hope mine will as well. I spolied her too early in the relationship with a nice comfortable corbin. Thanks! I appreciate it!

Same here. I thought it shifted smoother and faster but did not require high revs for that to happen. That's why I changed my mind. The clutch is so easy and smooth to begin with shifting is actually a pleasure compared to my Indian. Knowing it likes higher revs to "easy shift", I figure I won't be using it much, especially where I live, there a cop car between every gear, and I don't think they'll accept "officer, I was accelerating so that the quick shifter works a little better" explanation.
In my experience, “higher revs” is like 2k instead of 1,500…😏

I think it's smoother than a clutch shift if you're bad at clutch shifts haha. A well-implemented clutch shift will be smoother imho.

In my experience, “higher revs” is like 2k instead of 1,500…😏
Me too. I find it's as smooth at 2000 as it is at 5500. If you're not slamming it at full tilt it's smooth. Just a little cut then clunk then off we go. Anybody who paid $20k + for this machine really should get the $500 quick shift as it is well worth it relative to the price of the toy.

My pinion is my daughter. She's 9 90lbs. She doesn't feel secure back there. I need the back rest. She liked that extra security on the Vrod. She said the seat is ok but not as comfortable as the old bike.

Back