Potential new Tbird or Rocket owner

I love the **** thing. Goes good and I have my wife on the back 95 percent of the time. Goes 90 mph cruising all day if you live in the 85 mph states. Goes 120 two up pretty easy. Mine is as reliable as it is fun. I have a couple of V8 powered bikes but normally we take the Rocket on the long cruises. Great gas mileage, stops great, easy to ride, comfortable, has bags and a windshield, and handles good. We added McCruise and never regretted it. My only concern is I think they don't make em any more.
We have a two week ride thru many states all the way to the Canadian border in a month. There are three of us going each packing his wife. The others are on Harleys so it will be a pretty leisurely trip.

On the plus side i just read back through the thread and it turns out we are all funny as fcuk...so its not our fault he didn't come back :roll::roll:

Hello all!

I'm considering getting a Tbird Storm in a few months, but something on the Triumph website caught my attention the other day... in the UK, the Tbird Storm and the Rocket III Roadster are almost identically priced! So I'm thinking that I would be a fool not to consider getting an R3 instead as it's basically more bike for the same money. Just wondering why you guys went for the Tbird instead of the R3? I know there are slow speed size/weight concerns with the R3, but as I'm about 6'3" and nearing 20 stone, I think I could handle it probably. The way I see it, here are the pros for each one.

Tbird Storm

* Looks better (in my opinion, looks are subjective of course!)
* I imagine it sounds better (I like the deep thud-thud big twin sound)
* Easier to handle in slow traffic I suspect
* Fuel economy
* Insurance probably cheaper (as a new-ish rider living in Central London, my insurance costs will be epic either way!)

Rocket III Roadster

* Mmmmm.... torque
* Long distance comfort
* I imagine it would carry a larger weight... my girlfriend and I, both being extremely, uh, 'cuddly' are probably too big for 2-up riding. But I imagine we'd be closer to achieving it on the R3 (with some suspension upgrades) than we would on the Tbird.
* Lots of loverly torque!!!

I suppose I should test ride both of them, was planning on test riding the Tbird in the next few weeks anyway. My only worry with test riding both of them is that I'll end up picking the Tbird as the more practical choice, but will then be forever haunted by memories of the torque I could have had with the R3!

What do you guys think? Which is the better bike? Should I test both or keep myself living in blissful ignorance of what the R3's torque is like?

Ok...experience talking. I had same dilemma. Bought TBird. 7 days later , traded for Rocket...cost me a grand...there is no comparison...if you are already in a quandary...YOU MUST BUY THE ROCKET...YOU WILL ALWAYS ASPIRE TO IT.

I like the T-bird a lot, and have given it a lot of consideration as my next purchase. I can't get past how small it feels compared to my Rocket though.

I'm sure in time I would get used to it, but that's a lot of money to spend in the "hope" that eventually I would get used to something.

I think you are going about it the right way, test ride them both back to back and then make your decision cuz once you get used to riding the Rocket the worm will have turned and there will be no turning back ;)

You’ve nailed it. I bought a storm new in 2016. Lasted a week...felt small and as I’d seen...and been intimidated by the rocket in the show room I bought the storm...this mistake cost me a grad over 2 weeks. I’m now on my third Rocket ( don’t ask...scummy little thieving drug Pygmys)

Back