Potential new Tbird or Rocket owner

loggamatt

Standard Bore
Hello all!

I'm considering getting a Tbird Storm in a few months, but something on the Triumph website caught my attention the other day... in the UK, the Tbird Storm and the Rocket III Roadster are almost identically priced! So I'm thinking that I would be a fool not to consider getting an R3 instead as it's basically more bike for the same money. Just wondering why you guys went for the Tbird instead of the R3? I know there are slow speed size/weight concerns with the R3, but as I'm about 6'3" and nearing 20 stone, I think I could handle it probably. The way I see it, here are the pros for each one.

Tbird Storm

* Looks better (in my opinion, looks are subjective of course!)
* I imagine it sounds better (I like the deep thud-thud big twin sound)
* Easier to handle in slow traffic I suspect
* Fuel economy
* Insurance probably cheaper (as a new-ish rider living in Central London, my insurance costs will be epic either way!)

Rocket III Roadster

* Mmmmm.... torque
* Long distance comfort
* I imagine it would carry a larger weight... my girlfriend and I, both being extremely, uh, 'cuddly' are probably too big for 2-up riding. But I imagine we'd be closer to achieving it on the R3 (with some suspension upgrades) than we would on the Tbird.
* Lots of loverly torque!!!

I suppose I should test ride both of them, was planning on test riding the Tbird in the next few weeks anyway. My only worry with test riding both of them is that I'll end up picking the Tbird as the more practical choice, but will then be forever haunted by memories of the torque I could have had with the R3!

What do you guys think? Which is the better bike? Should I test both or keep myself living in blissful ignorance of what the R3's torque is like?

Caution!!! Don't ride the rocket!!! You'll never be the same!! Stick with the TBird. If you've read any of the posts on this forum you will notice that most of us are somewhat mentally unhinged. This is caused by rocket torque slamming your brain around inside your noggin. Heed my advice...keep your sanity...avoid the countless hours scouring the internet for parts and upgrades and sleepless nights thinking about how you are going to make your bike more unique. Stick with the TBird...it's the safer option ;)

BTW...welcome to the party from Houston, TX

I like the T-bird a lot, and have given it a lot of consideration as my next purchase. I can't get past how small it feels compared to my Rocket though.

I'm sure in time I would get used to it, but that's a lot of money to spend in the "hope" that eventually I would get used to something.

I think you are going about it the right way, test ride them both back to back and then make your decision cuz once you get used to riding the Rocket the worm will have turned and there will be no turning back ;)

Hey Logga - firstly welcome from Perth Western Australia

I was dead set on a Storm for months - the day I went to had over the cash I rode a Rocket the dealer had just traded - I came home with a brand new R3 Roadster

Buy it 'cos you want it not because its the sensible choice - we'd all be on Virago 250's if that was the case!

dont know what stones are to LB but I'm 285 and 5 feet 10 and it pulls me just fine and then some and has all the room on it I could want now I am talking about the touring molde and yes it has all the power you wait if you test ride it I would say you would get it over the bird but I could be wrong

What its like owning a Rocket

I must say after owning many bikes, the privilege of owning a Rocket is a lot different. Example, going to the Harley Dealer with your buddies and everyone is eyeing your bike. You walk around with your Triumph shirt on without excuses.

Maybe here's the best way to explain it:
It's like entering a largest penis contest and just taking out enough to win. :eek: ;)

Can I get an AMEN?

I must say after owning many bikes, the privilege of owning a Rocket is a lot different. Example, going to the Harley Dealer with your buddies and everyone is eyeing your bike. You walk around with your Triumph shirt on without excuses.

It's like entering a largest penis contest and just taking out enough to win. :eek: ;)

Can I get an AMEN?

Best answer ever.

Can I get an AMEN?

This is how it starts.... A perfectly normal thread a few posts later and were talking about penis's....

It's all down hill from here........:D

Back