Poor Gas Mileage...?

Hi, replying to Capt Bob re: bike config.

Captain, I'm running 100% stock. It is a 2007 classic, so I do have a windscreen and bags. The bike has 5k on it now.

I finshed the trip back from PA yesterday, and re-calculated the mgp. I was down to 37, though that's probably because I rode through the mountains to Gettysburg on Friday..........lots of twisties.

I fully admit I was enjoying the views and the beautiful PA country side.......in fact, I'm really impressed with central PA!!! What a great place. Therefore, I was not killing it on speed. Plus, there was a LOT of sand and debris on the curves from the winter, so I approached each curve with caution to manouver away from sand.

Some other commentary..........what a bike man! Though the Alleghenies are not huge mountains, the Rocket flattened them out. I only had to shift to 4th on the tight turns (the ones that said 20 or 30 mph), otherwise could practically stay in 5th! Believe me, I probably used half of its capability. I actually have ridden to 18,380 feet in the Himalayas (was in the mountains for 7 days) so I have expereienced extreme heights. I think the Rocket would laugh at them too, though it's probably too heavy for some of the trails we were on, fording streams, etc.

Anyway, I seem to be getting great performance and good miliage considering these other posts. I wish I could tell you more, but I have done nothing to the bike, though I'm sure I am not the most aggressive rider on this site, which will improve mileage.

That said, I have to agree with the advice that if you're getting in the low 20's, that's so far off the mark that it's worth checking out.

Yep, anyone who says they get 40+ on a regular basis either has a sail attached or has been running downhill for 200 miles. It's just not possible to have a good time and get mileage in the 40's on an R3.

Interesting enough, I finally broke the 40 mpg mark. I went to DC with some other vets for Memorial Day weekend (was part of rolling thunder). The bike is a 08 R3T with TORS and underseat K&N. I had a custom tune installed and had the 02 sensor removed. HOWEVER....., just before the trip, I downloaded the stock TORS tune (20258) and reinstalled the 02 sensor. Heading out on the slab doing a steady 70 - 75mph I hit 40 - 41mpg.

On the way back, we wicked it up a bit (90 - 95 mph) and the mileage dropped to 36mpg.

I am also thinking the quality of the gas has something to do with it. I am not convinced that the gas is the same station to station. In either case, I am quite happy with this mileage and will be leaving the current configuration on the bike as is. :D

I bought my (at that time bone stock) 2005 R3 standard on eat-me-bay and flew to Texas and rode it back to Michigan. Just droning along the highway I was getting in the low 40's. That was with a little tiny windshield. Now with the mods, cat delete, maddogs, triple K&N's and a giant parasail windshield, I get high 20's to low 30's riding sensibly. Low 20's having fun !

is anyone running power commander v with auto tune and if so what has that done to fuel figures. Would like to here from anyone running pc v and auto tune so if you know someone please let me know.

Australian Fuel Economy 2006 RIII

I purchased my 2006 RIII new, I now have over 106000Km on the clock from touring Australia pulling a camper trailer.
I use Tuneboy with full Jardines + K&N Air Filter and average around 16-17 Km/Lt (45-48 MPG) without towing, and 13-14 Km/Lt (35-39 MPG) when towing.
Issues to consider:
1. Greater fuel used in metro areas than open highways.
2. Error corrected Speedo reads 6% low on Odometer, requires corrected Fuel usage.
3. Calculate fuel economy by averaging fuel purchased over longer distances travelled for a more accurate result.

if i ride easy i can get over 35 mpg. if the throttle is used a lot, then of course i can get crappy mileage. having all that power and using it vs having all that power in reserve but using what's only necessary is likely the difference. i'm of the opinion that the fairing should actually improve your gas mileage as it's more streamlined than the human body surely.

When I had my 3 into 1 exhaust on,
I was getting 21 MPG.
Of course I richened it up some with the Dobeck EFI controller.
But with TORS, cat delete, K&N's, etc,,, 25MPG and that's twisting the throttle a bit.
Me and the wife went out playing around the other day.
her on her '05 stock standard (except for DS tire that is).
We bumped it up to 110 some places and mostly cruised around from 90-100MPH.
We took within 1/10 gal of the same fuel at a gas stop.
So I can live with only getting 25 MPG, besides,
it's the fun factor that makes this bike what it is.
Screw the mileage, if I'd wanted sensible, I'd have got a honda or harley...

Back