Poor Gas Mileage...?

Gkiller

Supercharged
I've got an 06 R3 Classic with about 13,500 miles on it. I have averaged 28-29 mpg on my last few tanks, which seems lower than many much of what I have read on this forum. A few qualifiers...the bike has a Corbin Fleetliner fairing with 17" screen, and a rider (me) that weighs in at about 280 lbs...
I realize that both of those factors will negatively impact MPG, but below 30 mpg???

I bought the bike used and the previous owner did not have the 10,000 mile service performed, but I am scheduled to take the bike in next week to have the service done. Is there anything that the tech will do as part of the service that could improve mileage (adjusting fuel mixture ratio, etc.)?

2300cc bike built like a brick no aerodynamic qualitys what so ever a massive 240 tyre on the rear I wonder why you are only getting 30mpg:D
I have never kept track of the mileage on any vehicle or bike I have ever owned maybe it is just me but I do not see the point:confused:

2300cc bike built like a brick no aerodynamic qualitys what so ever a massive 240 tyre on the rear I wonder why you are only getting 30mpg:D
I have never kept track of the mileage on any vehicle or bike I have ever owned maybe it is just me but I do not see the point:confused:

Maybe the point is that gasoline is going to go over $4 gal. and some of us may not have the discretionary funds to spend that you obviously have.

And even a 2300cc bike should get better than 30mpg, although mine doesn't. The M109r that I traded in on the Rocket would get nearly 50 mpg on the highway. And **** near as fast as the Rocket.

The M109r that I traded in on the Rocket would get nearly 50 mpg on the highway. And **** near as fast as the Rocket.
I'd surely like to know how you did that, as the C90 I sold to buy my R3T was lucky to get 38-42 on the highway!

But I'll tell you this - the mileage on my R3T is terrible, you're right; but I have such a gas riding it that so long as I can squeeze 150 - 170 from a tank - I'm not gonna quibble for the rest.

But I will concede that it's true that I can easily afford my gas. I can see a difference if someone is being really squeezed by the economy. But if they were you'd have to wonder what they were doing buying $15 - 20,000 motorcycles.

I get between 30 and 40mpg on my R3T, depending on how heavy my right hand is...
I've even averaged 38mpg pulling a trailer w/ it....
It's all in how you ride....

An M109R will get 50mpg at 35mph nice way to ride a good bike:eek:
I understand with gas going up a few cents that people start looking at the gas average but when you buy a 2300cc bike shaped like a tank you will not be happy and if you ride it like a bat from hell you will really be pissed.
I have went from on the way back from Eureka Springs 185 miles on the other hand i have had to refill at 100miles on some weekends.

The POINT is that - based on my review of posts on this forum - I am getting 4-8+ MPG less than what would be considered "normal" for this bike (again...based on posts within this forum). Other than my fat ass and the fairing, could there be a problem that others could provide their feedback/experience with? Could there be a mechanical improvement or adjustment made to improve the MPG?

I understand it is a rolling brick that is about as aerodynamic as a barn, but my concern is not with the general mileage i get from a tank, but that it seems to be substantially lower than what is considered average for this bike.

I've got an 06 R3 Classic with about 13,500 miles on it. I have averaged 28-29 mpg on my last few tanks, which seems lower than many much of what I have read on this forum. A few qualifiers...the bike has a Corbin Fleetliner fairing with 17" screen, and a rider (me) that weighs in at about 280 lbs...
I realize that both of those factors will negatively impact MPG, but below 30 mpg???

I bought the bike used and the previous owner did not have the 10,000 mile service performed, but I am scheduled to take the bike in next week to have the service done. Is there anything that the tech will do as part of the service that could improve mileage (adjusting fuel mixture ratio, etc.)?

Just based on what I've read, have him tune it and get a k&n filter.
Thats about all that I can offer seeing that I dont have a fairing or screen and mine is an '09.
And try buying gas at a different location. I've noticed that when I buy cheap gas my mileage drops drastically.

I'd surely like to know how you did that, as the C90 I sold to buy my R3T was lucky to get 38-42 on the highway!

But I'll tell you this - the mileage on my R3T is terrible, you're right; but I have such a gas riding it that so long as I can squeeze 150 - 170 from a tank - I'm not gonna quibble for the rest.

But I will concede that it's true that I can easily afford my gas. I can see a difference if someone is being really squeezed by the economy. But if they were you'd have to wonder what they were doing buying $15 - 20,000 motorcycles.

I never analyzed the reason I got the mileage that I did from the 109r, maybe I am just old and slow. I was just stating a fact. And since I ride the R3T the same way I rode the 109 I would think that that means that the difference is in the bikes and not the rider.

This thread was started by a fellow rocket rider asking if anyone knew why it got lousy mileage and I felt that he was given a somewhat less than serious answer to what he obviously felt was a serious question. As to what someone can and can't afford, that's really none of anyone else's **** business.

If you ride the Rocket like you stole it, (and like it was built to be ridden) you're lucky to be getting thirty MPG. Many here on this forum get about 30. Of course you can't argue with a good tune up. If you're really worried, get the exhaust gasses analyzed for un-burned hydrocarbons.

Back