Head gasket leak...

Onewheelwonder

.020 Over
Ride
2006 O.G. Rocket III
Figured I'd ask the pros on here for a little advice. Noticed an oil weep behind the oil tank at the end of last season, finally got around to investigating and it looks like the head gasket. Not the cam cover gasket, that leaks on the exhaust side. Lol.
No trace of oil above the head gasket and a small pool on the exposed edge between #1 and #2. Checked the plug well with the drain nearest the standing oil and it is dry. Having fun finding a head gasket kit and was wondering if a copper head gasket would be a wise choice for a non race bike. Or any other options anyone knows of as a better option. Was also thinking of swapping to high compression pistons while it's apart. Appreciate any feedback anyone can throw my way.

Before you write off the head gasket, make sure your VC gasket isn't leaking around the spark plug holes. If the gasket is out of place around the spark plug, oil will travel from the spark plug cavity through a drilled hole to the oil tank side of the head. Doesn't happen often but it happens. Pulling the VC gasket will confirm this.

Right. Had the same holes on the 955 and 1050 speed triples I had. I did pull one of the boots on cylinder #1 but the oil very well may have run along the gasket from a different cylinder. I am hoping that's all it is, I haven't heard of any triples with head gasket problems.

With further close inspection I found some oil residue around the other plug on cylinder #1 albeit just a tiny bit, along with the same on one of the plugs for #2. I'm gonna clean and degrease everything after I reseal the valve cover gasket and send it with fingers crossed for the season. We'll see what happens in time.

Back