Planning for Florida Keys

I'll make that ride any day. I can motor to Jacksonville and then go south. Anthony, when are you moving to Miami?

Friday morning I will be leaving Spring Texas... ~8.5 hours later I should be in Crestview FL. Hold up in a hotel for the night. Saturday morning I'll head out and be in Miami sometime mid afternoon.

Good luck in Miami. It is an amazing city. One of the most beautiful places on earth. Everything to offer. Let us know when you have some free time to ride.

My parents made four trips to the Keys with us kids, and I always enjoyed it.

Soon after I purchased the Rocket, I read with great interest the exploits shared by @R3Tex and even suggested joining him.

Life intruded for both of us, though I still harbor those thoughts.

I have a slight advantage for a winter trip in that my wife and I can board the Amtrak Auto Train that runs every day of the year between Lorton, VA and Sanford, FL.

Some other folks have recently mentioned wanting to go, and well, I offer this up as a place to perhaps bat around some ideas along this line.

I was daydreaming of doing the Keys trip in March - but the job got in the way... If the train makes stops along the way I can probably hop on somewhere further south than VA??

No on/off stops for the Auto Train. There are two trains, and they criss cross every night, each arriving at their respective destination around 1000, and all vehicles are off in about 45 minutes, then the train is cleaned, vehicles are loaded starting about 1400 and the trains depart promptly at 1600 -- rinse and repeat.

No on/off stops for the Auto Train. There are two trains, and they criss cross every night, each arriving at their respective destination around 1000, and all vehicles are off in about 45 minutes, then the train is cleaned, vehicles are loaded starting about 1400 and the trains depart promptly at 1600 -- rinse and repeat.

Well 6+ hours to VA or 7.5 to Sanford from me. If it works out, keep me posted - I could rendezvous in Sanford

Friday morning I will be leaving Spring Texas... ~8.5 hours later I should be in Crestview FL. Hold up in a hotel for the night. Saturday morning I'll head out and be in Miami sometime mid afternoon.

Crestview, FL to Miami, FL 627 miles. Miami to Key West 165 miles. Route I10, I75, FLTPK, I95, US1.

Auto Train is what they used to call an Express train....no enroute stops, although it does change crews and fuel up, I think in Florence SC. A one or two stop train would be a limited and Amtrak has a few of those going thither and yon.

And while we're on the topic of trains, the Flagler railroad made it all the way to Key West in 1912, until a hurricane wiped out much of the road bed on Labor Day 1935 (leaving the bridges).

And the Florida East Coast Railroad he founded, still runs.

Back