THECRAIGMEISTER

.020 Over
I need some help guys. I want to change my pipes. I have researched and it seems that I would probably like the sound of the Jardines the best. My nearest dealer talked me out of those and said the TOR pipes are the way to go because there is a Triumph tune ready for those pipes? Then you get free updates when available etc. I know alot of you have the pciii and tuneboy. I guess I am just overwhelmed as to what to do? I would like to tap into the power this bike should have as I live at 5000'. Would I have to get the pipes with the pciii with a tune preset for those pipes and then get the tuneboy and correct the speedo and change the secondaries? Then would I need to get the bike dyno tuned to really dial it in with the pciii? Does the pciii work well? I know from reading that it can't correct the speedo or fix the secondaries but is that something I can do by myself or do I have to take it to a tuneboy tuner? Sorry for rambling I just am confused as to what route to go. Maybe getting the Triumph pipes would be easier as There is a factory tune for them?

Triumph's tune for TORs will not unleash the full potential of the TORs. Only a Tuneboy or PC III will do that.

I need some help guys. I want to change my pipes. I have researched and it seems that I would probably like the sound of the Jardines the best. My nearest dealer talked me out of those and said the TOR pipes are the way to go because there is a Triumph tune ready for those pipes? Then you get free updates when available etc. I know alot of you have the pciii and tuneboy. I guess I am just overwhelmed as to what to do? I would like to tap into the power this bike should have as I live at 5000'. Would I have to get the pipes with the pciii with a tune preset for those pipes and then get the tuneboy and correct the speedo and change the secondaries? Then would I need to get the bike dyno tuned to really dial it in with the pciii? Does the pciii work well? I know from reading that it can't correct the speedo or fix the secondaries but is that something I can do by myself or do I have to take it to a tuneboy tuner? Sorry for rambling I just am confused as to what route to go. Maybe getting the Triumph pipes would be easier as There is a factory tune for them?

You will be lucky if you can find someone near you who will dyno tune your bike using Tuneboy. You should first ask yourself how you want the bike to look and how much you really want to add to the performance. Is your bike too slow for you?

Craig

Where Is your nearest dealer?? Denver??Watch out down there. You can do the secondaris your self..I did..

Last edited:
Yes, Foothills Triumph. I may have to get with you and have you explain what it entails to do the secondaries. I am pretty handy mechanically so I should be able to do it as well. Just may need some direction and advise. My bike is fast enough for now. I just want a different sound and would like to have the full power. Every bit helps when you are losing between 15-25%hp due to elevation. I bought the bike in Vegas and it was mean there! I could roll off a stoplight get to about 5mph and roll on the throttle and the back tire would break traction and get slippery for awhile!! Not even the same here. It still runs strong but nothing like at sea level. I wish I would have never had it at sea level then I wouldn't miss all the extra power. I would like a deep throaty sound along with some extra hp. Still won't run like sea level but will be closer. I also hate the fact that we have been protected from ourselves with the detune. 7% would be a big step back towards sea level perf. I have a Brute Force 750 four wheeler that had the same kind of b.s. Detuned it so people wouldn't get hurt. So I bought a unit to eliminate that and would accept custom maps etc. My new corvette was detuned in a way also. Had some work done to it and dyno tuned to reach it's full potential. Now i'm ranting and ramblng sorry......Craig

Yes, Foothills Triumph. I may have to get with you and have you explain what it entails to do the secondaries. I am pretty handy mechanically so I should be able to do it as well. Just may need some direction and advise. My bike is fast enough for now. I just want a different sound and would like to have the full power. Every bit helps when you are losing between 15-25%hp due to elevation. I bought the bike in Vegas and it was mean there! I could roll off a stoplight get to about 5mph and roll on the throttle and the back tire would break traction and get slippery for awhile!! Not even the same here. It still runs strong but nothing like at sea level. I wish I would have never had it at sea level then I wouldn't miss all the extra power. I would like a deep throaty sound along with some extra hp. Still won't run like sea level but will be closer. I also hate the fact that we have been protected from ourselves with the detune. 7% would be a big step back towards sea level perf. I have a Brute Force 750 four wheeler that had the same kind of b.s. Detuned it so people wouldn't get hurt. So I bought a unit to eliminate that and would accept custom maps etc. My new corvette was detuned in a way also. Had some work done to it and dyno tuned to reach it's full potential. Now i'm ranting and ramblng sorry......Craig

The so-called de-tuning results from partially closing the secondaries in gears 1-3. This doesn't limit peak HP but it limits torgue in the max range (2000-3500 rpm) by about 12 lb ft (on my bike). There is a commensurate reduction in fuel. You can get back the air and fuel in 2 ways: 1) Tuneboy, which lets you open up the secondaries all the way and add back the fuel, or; 2) PCIII, which only lets you add fuel - after you have manually removed the secondary plates. However, with this option, there's a rub. The underlying stock tune in the ECU is still telling the ECU that the secondaries are closed to some extent. For example, in the 20150 tune, at 2500 rpm, the map is telling the ECU that the secondaries are open 30, 30, and 40% in gears 1,2 and 3. The ECU is then supplying different amounts of fuel in gears 2 and 3. When you map with the PCIII, this isn't accounted for - you're just adding fuel as a function of throttle position and RPM. The PCIII adds fuel to whatever is coming out from the base Triumph map. The PCIII would presumably add more fuel if you were tuning in gear 2 than in gear 3. Since most people tune on Dynojet dynos in 4th gear for peak HP, this issue is generally overlooked.

Also the ignition is retarded in the first couple of gears. With tuneboy you can copy the ignition map for 3-5th gears into the map for 1 & 2 and have full power in all gears.

So with tuneboy I could get the Triumph pipes, do the air intake mod and have the new triumph tune put in then add the tune boy to dial in the other things? Would I have to do everything manually or is there preset tunes with tuneboy that would make it more or less plug and play? Is there any tuneboy tuners withing a state or two from Wyoming or is it all stuff I can do without spending a huge amount of time tweaking it? I guess I don't completely understand exactly what the tuneboy entails. Can anyone enlighten me?

When you buy tuneboy you get a USB cable and a software key. Tuneboy allows you to plug directly into the ECU and upload new tunes. Basically the creator cracked the ECU. There would be no need for the dealer to load a tune for you. Many have had a hard time finding a dyno tuner willing to use Tuneboy because none of the have heard of it. There are several "canned" tunes on the Tuneboy website that will get you in the ballpark. You can also download the software and play with it. We have several tunes posted here in the trading tunes section.

http://www.tuneboy.com.au/

Piggr:

I have a question. Without getting a tuneboy (I don't want to do that, or the PC either), will the adaptive mode (12 minute tune) adapt the fuel managment system to allow for the removal of the cat box and replacement with the Staintune eliminator. I'm gonna get the Staintume this winter. Though it's expensive, I consider it much better made and it looks like it flows better than the Triumph plumbing disaster?

I have no desire to change the stock exhaust pipes or move/ replace the air filter other than replace the stock one with most likely a Uni or K&N when the filter becomes clogged. I prefer the Uni. The K&N reminds me of the stock filters on the Meriden Bonnies...able to filter pea gravel and that's about it.

Back