Petrol gauge ???

azmerlin

.020 Over
Ride
T Rocker III
I am looking to buy an R3 and have seen a 2010 with an additional fuel clock on the handlebars and have seen a 2014 with a fuel LCD in the speedo.
At what point did these change and how reliable are they?

Cheers

Welcome to the site. Not sure when fuel gauges moved to the speedo. They are not the most accurate thing in the world, usually giving plenty of warning as when to fill the tank. But I would rather be safe than sorry. R3's can be pretty heavy to push around.

When the Roadster model came out in 2010 the fuel gauge was added to the speedo in a digital format. I use it a lot along with the countdown mileage indicator. It gives a conservative reading. When I hit empty indicated I still have around 3 to 4 liters of gasoline left.

The handle bar fuel gauge was an optional extra, and when I say extra I mean a LOT of extra money with little extra benefit. It runs off the same sensor which activates the low fuel warning light, so if you fill'r'up when the light comes on then you will be fine.

Thanks for the answers, so would the newer LCD display be more accurate?
I thought the newer version of the bike with all the fixes came out in 2010, so does this mean that if the bike does not have the LCD fuel, that it is an older generation ?

There are several different iterations of the bike. The Standard, Classic, Tourer, Touring, and Roadster. They are all basically the same bike until these newfangled things came out in 2020. The R3T is probably the most different though.

Any initial bugs were ironed out by 2009, but any year or variation should be a good bike as long as it doesn't jump out of 2nd hear on hard acceleration. Find the one you like and put a lot of miles on it.

There are several different iterations of the bike. The Standard, Classic, Tourer, Touring, and Roadster. They are all basically the same bike until these newfangled things came out in 2020. The R3T is probably the most different though.

Any initial bugs were ironed out by 2009, but any year or variation should be a good bike as long as it doesn't jump out of 2nd hear on hard acceleration. Find the one you like and put a lot of miles on it.
Thanks

Back