Parasitic Drain, 2014 Rocket III Touring - Mystery: Multimeter shows zero draw with the key out

I always keep my bike on a battery tender. I find that I can leave with a full charge, and after riding the tender shows a red light, after riding! Then it takes a few hours on the battery tender to show a full charge. I thought it was the battery until I read this thread. Perhaps Triumph needs to be made aware of this.
As far as my experience that's normal for the battery tender to show solid red for awhile after riding. A few hours seems a bit much.

12V is all that is needed for much larger car engines. The battery provides power to the starter, ECU and alternator not the motor.
What I am talking about here is the amount of amp hours available. Most car batteries are double the capacity or more of a motorcycle battery.
When I mentioned engine, I inferred all the components you mentioned. If being pedantic, I could also mention that you forgot the ignition system out of your list.
The Charging system generally supplies power to all these components as well as charging the battery, which takes quite a while to fully recharge the battery. With the size of the Rocket's engine, a number of short trips in a row may leave you stranded with a battery with not enough power to start.

What I am talking about here is the amount of amp hours available. Most car batteries are double the capacity or more of a motorcycle battery.
When I mentioned engine, I inferred all the components you mentioned. If being pedantic, I could also mention that you forgot the ignition system out of your list.
The Charging system generally supplies power to all these components as well as charging the battery, which takes quite a while to fully recharge the battery. With the size of the Rocket's engine, a number of short trips in a row may leave you stranded with a battery with not enough power to start.
Thank you, you are correct. I am finding the bike is not fully charged after a ride. My Street Twin would show green on the battery tender after a ride. The R3 shows red.
What do you think could be the cause?

I would check the voltage on the battery whilst the bike is running with the revs slightly elevated. Should be 14.4 volts give or take a couple of decimal points.
Lets first see the results of this test before me make wild assumptions!

Was there any conclusion on this. I am experiencing the same issue.
On 3rd battery now 1 month after getting bike.
Purchased bike. Original started fine after 7 days sitting. Rode to shops (12kms) and back. Next day dead.
Replaced with new AGM which had not enough charge to start bike off the shelf. Put it on trickle for a few hours and fired right up. Sat for 4 days ok. Then 6 days ok. Then 5 days ok. Then 5 days dead. Trickled for few hours fired up again. Sent to shop which believed it is accessory light draw which was removed. Confirmed no other parasitic draw. 2 days later dead again. Trickled and rode to batt store. Load tested batt and was not the best but still passed however replaced batt on warranty just in case.
Letting new batt sit for another 7 days...fingers crossed it starts this weekend.
If it does not looks like I have run out of ideas like OP of this thread.😭 hence getting ready for what next$
2014 Touring..... EXACT SAME symptoms as OP and yourself. Defies ALL troubleshooting techniques (I'm a professional mechanic). Even though the battery tested good, I replaced it. Symptoms persist.
BLOODY HELL

I'm not sure if my battery was sitting tall or the under seat tool kit was sitting low (or a combination of the two), but I discovered that with me on the seat the tool kit was pressed onto the top of the battery.
The screwdriver in the kit lines up with the terminals on the battery, and it was creating a bit of a circuit through the plastic and caused a draw. I only discovered it when I smelled a wisp of plastic smoke on startup and did some poking around.
Very unlikely to be it, but if you've already checked everything else, you never know.

Back