Paint Can Rattle

britman

Nitrous
Ride
2005 Rocket 3/2014 Moto Guzzi Touring
Just FYI for any of you guys who have suffered with the old "Paint Can Rattle" syndrome. I just got off the phone with my Dealership. They are replacing the entire cam chain, sprockets, key ways, and guides on my bike. It is still under warranty and has been in the shop for well over three weeks, but at least they are taking care of the problem. I should have a complete update tomorrow, since I have only talked to the Service Manager, not the actual mechanic. If any of you guys have the noise, get it checked while you still have warranty left. Apparently Triumph knows about the issue and will take corrective action if it is brought to their attention.

Just FYI for any of you guys who have suffered with the old "Paint Can Rattle" syndrome. I just got off the phone with my Dealership. They are replacing the entire cam chain, sprockets, key ways, and guides on my bike. It is still under warranty and has been in the shop for well over three weeks, but at least they are taking care of the problem. I should have a complete update tomorrow, since I have only talked to the Service Manager, not the actual mechanic. If any of you guys have the noise, get it checked while you still have warranty left. Apparently Triumph knows about the issue and will take corrective action if it is brought to their attention.

What is the issue? Is there a paint can in there somewhere?

Mine has always made that noise at about 2400 rpm at light throttle. It's got 24,500 miles on it and the warranty runs out in november. Has not gotten any worse, but I would like to get it quietened down.

Mine does it as well, although not frequently. But when it does, it's during start-up idling, with a cold engine. The few seconds @ 800/1000 rpm's, before it eventually settles down to 500 --which it always does. It used to scare me, back in October '04. SEVERAL paint cans rattling, not just one and not in unison.

But I have stopped paying attention;). Jamie

I've long thought the sound was cam chain related. When I went to Amsoil the noise was eliminated, or seemed so, for awhile but has crept back in good measure over the past 4k. Amsoil is good stuff but no miracle worker.

Three weeks in the shop for cam chain and sprocket replacement??

I've long thought the sound was cam chain related. When I went to Amsoil the noise was eliminated, or seemed so, for awhile but has crept back in good measure over the past 4k. Amsoil is good stuff but no miracle worker.

Three weeks in the shop for cam chain and sprocket replacement??

Three weeks sounds like warranty procedures aren't high priority. Having said that, I can understand why. I would imagine that Triumph is just like everyone else and flat rates any warranty work. Example, Triumph might say ti takes 4 hours to replace the cams. chains and sprockets while in reality it takes 6 hours but Triumph only pays for 4 hours so the dealer would rather do work that he can get the most revenue per hour from and it's not warranty related. Then there is the documentation associated with warranty work and finally getting paid by Triumph. Lots of varibles involved. I don't know Triumph's warranty relationship with their dealers but I know how Freightliner handles their warranty claims and the paperwork is outta sight.

Tomo I'm sure knows about warranty procedures and priorities, after all, he works at a Nissan Dealership. Maybe he can further enlighten us. Even Japanese care have warranty related problems even though I'm sure less than their American counterparts.

Of course Flip, that is where service with a smile comes from, these daze:eek: If Brittman has his beast in for otherthan the cam et al, that was my querry.
I'll wait for the local dealer to get the parts before I go without it for weeks. It took them several weeks to get button head screws/bolts in, for the exhaust shield and radiator chrome surround losses.

Warranty work is strange business indeed. I've heard that in some cases Triumph dealers must get pre approval before they can start on a bike. Parts availability is always a problem also.

It could be that a dealership is backed up in their service department. During the summer months I can see small dealerships being overwhelmed. Warranty work isn't something that can be put off and has to be given just as high a priority as other work, feed back from customers to Triumph (CSI) monitor this. A dealership could loose its dealer license from Triumph if warranty work was ignored.

That being said, you can't just hire new mechanics to reduce the workload, they have to have some sort of Triumph specific training. This makes it more of a long range planning issue. I've seen the Triumph factory reps at dealerships and they are taking a very professional approach to handling this and other problems. No one is perfect, but they seem to be working on it and with all small operations there are some growing pains, I'm sure. Its a good thing they are taking it seriously and putting in some effort to get things done.

I've also seen the likes of Moto Guzzi whose philosophy is that dealers can do all the warranty work they want as long as the dealer will pay for it. Guzzi mechanics have to fully document all suggested repairs with supporting photos and submit them for approval. In most cases they are turned down. If they are approved wait time for parts is measured in years, not days. I know one dealer that dropped them because of this.

Back