Owner Review TFC

A quick question. You stated the TFC engine is a little soft compared to your modded 14 Rocket. You also stated you only used the Road mode. Isn't the Sport mode faster with full HP and Torque on tap and the Road mode is more reserved? With less HP to the wheel? I truly don't know if there is a difference in HP, torque or suspension in the two modes. Have you tried the Sport mode for a better comparison to your 14 Rocket? Great write up by the way. Good pictures also and looking good as usual.

A quick question. You stated the TFC engine is a little soft compared to your modded 14 Rocket. You also stated you only used the Road mode. Isn't the Sport mode faster with full HP and Torque on tap and the Road mode is more reserved? With less HP to the wheel? I truly don't know if there is a difference in HP, torque or suspension in the two modes. Have you tried the Sport mode for a better comparison to your 14 Rocket? Great write up by the way. Good pictures also and looking good as usual.
Good questions so I’ll try the sport mode and see. I think it is throttle mapping for response and not sure you really get more total power. I think it just gives you more power quicker in the throttle twist. No matter how you deliver the power it will not be 203 hp. When it is broken in I’ll have it measured on the dyno and I’ll ask to have both modes checked for a full and definitive comparison.

Good questions so I’ll try the sport mode and see. I think it is throttle mapping for response and not sure you really get more total power. I think it just gives you more power quicker in the throttle twist. No matter how you deliver the power it will not be 203 hp. When it is broken in I’ll have it measured on the dyno and I’ll ask to have both modes checked for a full and definitive comparison.
Max HP is measured on a dyno at wide open throttle. If you feel the power is squishy, you need to measure the power at a particular throttle position. We don’t have the R3 tunes but for the Thruxton R, for example, the throttle plate openings (%) are closer to the grip throttle positions (%) in sport mode than in road or rain modes for all throttle positions. The actual throttle plate opening is used to restrict power with electric throttles similar to the secondary throttle plates with mechanical throttles.

I didn’t notice any differences in the clutches or power between the R and GT. Just struggled a bit to find the foot controls on the GT.

I am sure THE TFC is no match for the modded 265 or more HP Rockets we ride BUT its got to be a sweet handling super cruiser

An interesting way to see the mapping differences is to Dyno at 30% (or thereabouts) throttle. Do RAIN mode for fun too. Is there a TRACK mode?

I've only ridden a few bikes with "modes" - I always end up in SPORT.

The British trifecta.
079D0380-8E5D-48B4-968A-DDA783679A21.jpeg
All those pictures show a worryingly well manicured drive - And then I spotted a leaf. You need a new gardener.

The book says can run on 87 octane.:eek: I’m using 92 and it runs fine.

Many thanks for your report and pictures :thumbsup:. So you own now 2 Bentleys ! And one in particular is even more gorgeous ;)

Time to break in + winter season + recovering from your pneumonia : many reasons to definitively enjoy your R3 a million times better in spring. :)

I'd be curious to know the % of your riding time per model (R3 new, previous R3, Vintage...) :sneaky:

The test of the dealer' R3 also gave me a great feeling of the clutch, something like if there was simply none as it was so soft and comfortable.

Ref. the octane % I always choose over here 98 (resulting in less consumption and better perf.)

upload_2020-2-18_11-56-9.png

Last edited:
Back