Oil header tank leaking again!

phar2slo

Living Legend
Ride
2006 classic
Well I had the update kit on the 06 done in July and earlier this month noticed the engine was wet with oil.

Knew what it was straight away.

Called the stealership and said that it's got a leak and will they repair it?

Yes they would for a few hundred dollars.

So I know they used the wrong oring @warp9.9 told me last time the size I needed so have that and will be fixing it myself again.

Hopefully will get it sorted out first time not like last time which was 4th time lucky.

Got oil leak sorted was a quicker than I thought fix.

Just undid the bolts and gave it a twist and turn tighten up the bolts and done.
So what bolts did you tighten? I have a leak coming from under the tank right now.

Well what do you know I finally got around to changing out the O ring that was seeping oil for the past few years.

Had the new dealer ship do the last oil change because It was in getting something done.

Well last weekend I drained the oil took off the Ramair and throttle bodies removed the tank and fitted new o-ring which is 17x 2.7mm.

I know it's not quite the right size but thought it would be okay.

Went for a quick ride around the block yesterday with no baffles in in pipes and boy was it loud.

This morning I went out to the garage and found a puddle of oil in the floor 😳.
Screenshot_20210307_143910.jpg
Screenshot_20210307_143847.jpg

Now my question is should you be able to see the O ring it's the green thing on the picture??

I tighten the tank into place using the long bolts. Should you be able to see the O ring.

Very easy to damage the orig when installing the tank . Use lots of lube on the oring and tank.
When you put o-ring over pipe make sure you get the twist out of o-ring before putting parts together, I usually take a sharpened pencil and go around inside of ring a couple of times, make sure to lube o-ring and mating surfaces before assembling. Purchase correct o-rings, & I use o-ring lube. Go to Hermy's parts listing and they give part # and size.

i could not see anything in the pic but if u can see oring it is not sealing. the oring has to be in its proper place be 4 tightening bolts. if it has been like this for a long time the oil tank might be deformed.

i could not see anything in the pic but if u can see oring it is not sealing. the oring has to be in its proper place be 4 tightening bolts. if it has been like this for a long time the oil tank might be deformed.

It been weeping for a couple of years now. I managed to cut the o-ring in half will attach pic tonight. Brought 3 new o-ring s on the way home yesterday and managed to get it to seat correctly I hope fingers crossed.

But had to go out before I could complete putting back together.

Will finish it up tonight and Go for a ride and see!

Back