Oil Filters, disposable or reusable??

HeR3tic:

No, I meant mileage accumulated totally, not on a filter.

Does the Scotts filter fit in the chrome cover on the R3????

Rare earth magnet....sounds like advertising hype. What's rare earth?? Earth with plenty of manure added?

We'll be waiting anxiously for either you or Pianoman to report on any gumming problems though I believe that's a figament of an over active imagination. The only thing I have ever seen gum up was fridgid diesel in a filter and that is waxing of the parrafin.

Industrial machinery uses very little spin on filters for fluid filtration. Most filters are cleanable, stainless or non-ferrous mesh. Sometimes, I think spin-on filters came about for cost effectiveness and convenience rather than actual filtering efficiency.

OK another Twist.. As a Filter begins to strain debris doesn't it then become a finer filter..... I have never done so on my motorcycles but on auto's (I like most I assume, put more miles on my car/truck than I am able to put on my Bike) that are getting higher mileage. I would drain oil, remove the filter and drain the dirty oil replace same filter and refill with clean oil. At that time I was driving 60,000 plus miles/year and engine drain oil would still be a golden yellow after 1500 mi. Oil change 3000 mi / filter 6000 mi. I would buy what I thought at the time to be good filters, I don't practice this any more because my miles traveled has dropped substancialy. My Oil changes are more time based than miles any more.. This is not a recomendation just another, thought to ponder:)

That may be true, but as the filter gets loaded with crud (for lack of a better word), the pressure differential between one side of the media and the other side gets more defined. When it reaches a pre-determined point (controlled by a spring loaded valve), the pressure bypass opens and the oil ceases to be filtered. It is just returned to the lubrication system.

I have a post filter on my well water system in the house. As the filter gets loaded with debris, the flow decreases and at a point the flow becomes to low to be of practical use, but as the flow decreases, the clarity of the water becomes better.

Scotts filter

The filter has spiffy exterior with cooling fins. It's no larger than stock. It's not as brilliant as the chrome cover but nice design. It is crafted out of a "solid" billet aluminum. The interior aspect is removable. The rare earth magnet (I assume rare earth means spendy) is quite strong. It is embedded in the front face of the interior removal stainless screen element with a stated filtration cable of anything greater than 25 micron. That's smaller than any dust particle.

Underwood Deviled Ham and other things........

What we need now is a medium to long term real world test. Just like Cycle World (r) does to their bikes.

We need documented evidence (take it apart and look at it, flush the screen and put it back together) as to the effectiveness of the filter and the Holy Grail of questions........whether it gums up?

I, for one, will be anxiously awaiting you and PianoMan for your results. Will you dispel the naysayers or will you condone their misguided conceptions and revelations about the ineffectiveness of the Scotts and Pure Power filters. Only you and Pianoman can dispel the myths. Most likely because we are all to cheap to buy one, but don't despair. I for one will buy one if indeed credible evidence is presented by you two, our ambassadors to the netherworld of reusable oil filters.

Come on baby........................................:D It's Miller time.............................:D

Gunshots - I've for many years used Castol GTX. I've always swapped out disposable filters 2 to 1 oil change. I'd say, I averaged 7.5k per oil change. I expect I'll be leaning toward stretching the Mobile 1 full-synthetic, or if I switch to Amsoil 15W50, to 15K depending on the outcome of the scriptures application. It's not that I'm cheap, that would be topic to bring up to the wifey; if, I'd spend $129 on a filter (dundeal) I can't be that tight! She's now ragging me about $85 for Exhaust Flange Covers and $35 for Analog Oil Temp Gage. She hasn't said much about the Bullsballs dangling below the license plate I've got to research the ThrottleMeister next.

Deck the halls with bullballs.......

Been thinking about a set of Rocky Mountain Oysters for under the plate myself.

I see chrome and flesh colored/veined renditions are sold. I'm leaning toward the lifelike ones. Chrome balls are over the top.

I've heard people tell other people they have "brass balls", but I believe brass balls would, over time, turn green and that would be, in the least, distasteful.

I wonder if you can get the lifelike ones with pubic hairs attached. With the hairs in abundance, you could have a spray shield below your license plate just like the UPS trucks have over their trailer wheels.

A statement to virility and a statement to safety at the same time.:D

Back