Oil change filter problem

Hi Maurice... page 120 of the manual:
Capture.JPG

So whilst you start on the side stand with a cold engine, you then warm it up for 60-90 seconds only without revving it..
hello, I have a 2018 Rocket 3 Roadster, 2300cc, the manual on page 57 states to check the engine oil while its upright.

hello, I have a 2018 Rocket 3 Roadster, 2300cc, the manual on page 57 states to check the engine oil while its upright.

But this was asked in the 2.5l rocket section relating to the new rockets so you reply is not valid and only confuses the thread.

But this was asked in the 2.5l rocket section relating to the new rockets so you reply is not valid and only confuses the thread.
One thing that helps with checking oil level on either Rocket is removing the dipstick first while waiting the minute or two for the cold oil to return
to the tank from the upper cylinders.. Leaving the stick in makes reading the level harder as the oil tube will keep the stick wet when withdrawing it.
Pulling the stick early will prevent that. The reason u cant just check it dead cold first thing before a ride is because if it sits too long, the oil will eventually
leak down from the reservoir into the bottom of the engine giving a low reading. Overfilling can cause it to puke the oil out thru the air box breather
and or blow a seal.

One thing that helps with checking oil level on either Rocket is removing the dipstick first while waiting the minute or two for the cold oil to return
to the tank from the upper cylinders.. Leaving the stick in makes reading the level harder as the oil tube will keep the stick wet when withdrawing it.
Pulling the stick early will prevent that. The reason u cant just check it dead cold first thing before a ride is because if it sits too long, the oil will eventually
leak down from the reservoir into the bottom of the engine giving a low reading. Overfilling can cause it to puke the oil out thru the air box breather
and or blow a seal.
Sonnie, leaving the stick in, then after the 2 minutes pull stick, wipe clean, then reinsert to read comes out the same, wouldn't it?

Sonnie, leaving the stick in, then after the 2 minutes pull stick, wipe clean, then reinsert to read comes out the same, wouldn't it?
Yea, it reads the same, but by leaving the stick out during drain down doesnt line the tube with oil which will gather on the stick
when u reinsert it. When u pull the stick out the second time to check it, its a little hard to read with the oil draining down the stick
from the last removal.. Leaving the stick out keeps the tube clean of oil. Each time u pull the stick out it lines the tube with oil again.
Just make sure you dont remove the stick before u shut it off. You wont do that more than once.

Yea, it reads the same, but by leaving the stick out during drain down doesnt line the tube with oil which will gather on the stick
when u reinsert it. When u pull the stick out the second time to check it, its a little hard to read with the oil draining down the stick
from the last removal.. Leaving the stick out keeps the tube clean of oil. Each time u pull the stick out it lines the tube with oil again.
Just make sure you dont remove the stick before u shut it off. You wont do that more than once.
Ahhhhhh. I will try that next time. Thanks.

Sonnie, just was thinking. Why would there be less oil on when walls where stick goes with stick out vs stick in? Oil still running downward, just more on stick with stick there.pull stick out, wipe clean, insert? No?

Sonnie, just was thinking. Why would there be less oil on when walls where stick goes with stick out vs stick in? Oil still running downward, just more on stick with stick there.pull stick out, wipe clean, insert? No?
When you remove the stick, wipe it off, and reinsert, then pull it out it will have a lot of oil residue from the first removal.. You can always wait
3 or 4 minutes after the first removal to let it drain down from the tube if u want... I just leave the stick out while i am waiting for the 2 or 3 mins they recommend
when first starting the bike for engine head drain down before checking the level..
The tube drains clean after 3 mins or so.. Pulling the stick out initially lines the tube and gets on the stick
making it harder to read if u dont wait a couple mins.
Pulling the stick out just leaves so much oil in the tube i guess because it drips off the stick all the way up to the top.
When the oil is dirty its easy to read no matter what u do.
Clean oil just doesnt show easily especially when its all over the stick. I probably just dont like waiting while it drains either.

When you remove the stick, wipe it off, and reinsert, then pull it out it will have a lot of oil residue from the first removal.. You can always wait
3 or 4 minutes after the first removal to let it drain down from the tube if u want... I just leave the stick out while i am waiting for the 2 or 3 mins they recommend
when first starting the bike for engine head drain down before checking the level..
The tube drains clean after 3 mins or so.. Pulling the stick out initially lines the tube and gets on the stick
making it harder to read if u dont wait a couple mins.
Pulling the stick out just leaves so much oil in the tube i guess because it drips off the stick all the way up to the top.
When the oil is dirty its easy to read no matter what u do.
Clean oil just doesnt show easily especially when its all over the stick. I probably just dont like waiting while it drains either.
If anyone can beat a dead horse I can! But it'ts not dead, left hind leg moved!
Since both methods, pulling stick out while waiting for draining, or leaving stick in while draining, would give same results since you WIPE STICK CLEAN before inserting for a read. No?
God help this horse!

If anyone can beat a dead horse I can! But it'ts not dead, left hind leg moved!
Since both methods, pulling stick out while waiting for draining, or leaving stick in while draining, would give same results since you WIPE STICK CLEAN before inserting for a read. No?
God help this horse!
Just find it easier to read if the tube hasnt had oil in it after withdrawing the stick . If the stick is removed first while waiting for the draindown to the oil reservoir
you only have to wait once. I have tried taking a reading with a cold engine before starting, the read is always different, and sometimes HIGH, for some reason.
You would think it would be low from the oil tank draining down to the crank, but its always different, so i always follow the book and it usually comes
out right.. Even after a complete oil change, the oil is never at the top of the hash marks.. Its always in the middle so there is some wiggle room there.
Over filling will simply cause the tank to overflow into the air box, and make a mess... many actually think that when they see it, they have a leak..
I have the same type system on my C-7 Corvette (dry sump) except you always check it hot and within 2 mins of shutoff or it drains down.
I have never had a bike that requires a cold oil check.

Back