Needed valve adjustment, fuel injectors, exhaust leak………

rangerbob56

I have a foolproof plan and a airtight alibi
Ride
2012 Roadster
How can I identify that “ticka-ticka-ticka” sound coming from my engine? I have a 2012 Roadster, and it seems like the noise has been there all along. I get different opinions from everyone; valves that need adjusting or it’s just the fuel injectors and it’s normal (both from a dealer, whom I don’t have a good feeling about and I don’t trust) to “it’s an exhaust leak bro!”

Is there any way to differentiate where the noise is coming from?

How many Miles?
How long since service?
Type of oil used?

Not an easy question to put a simple answer to without more info.

Adjust your valves!
Was just down your way last month riding my 201 R3R with buddies in Kingman, Kearney & St Johns.
Heading back down next month to Glandale for a human factors class.
Perhaps a brew?

Just over 30,000 miles; by service do you mean oil change? I do my own every 5,000 miles, using Mobil 1 synthetic.
If you have done ALL servicing and never had your valves checked in 30,000 miles - shame on you. Should be checked at 10,000 intervals I think.

If you have done ALL servicing and never had your valves checked in 30,000 miles - shame on you. Should be checked at 10,000 intervals I think.
My LandRover has done 350,000kms - I suppose I'd better check the valves on that too then!. - Nah! - next year, if it's not too cold.

Eliminate whether or not it’s an exhaust leak before turning to the valves. The valves usually get tighter tolerances with wear vs looser, so you wouldn’t hear ticking.
But at 30,000 you really need to have them gone through as some of them are probably tight and you don’t want that

Confession time!
I did mine at 60K!
#1 intake only one requiring change and that was just .003".
Noise was very low, but I was lucky.
From now on it shall be at every 20K miles as required.

Back