Oil Leak on 08 R3 Touring

Pdupps

.020 Over
Ride
2008 Rocket III Touring
Hey guys,
I recently sprung an oil leak on my 08 Rocket III Touring that has me scratching my head. Was hoping some else might have ran into this before. It doesn't leak at all in short runs 15 mins, no matter how hard i ride it. It seems to only start leaking in longer runs. 30 mins or so. It's not alot, but it's pooling up on the back of the engine (towards the back tire) then dripping down on the right side of the bike and onto the exhaust. I put some uv dye in it and still can tell exactly where it's coming from. It seems to be pooling up right below the head gasket. Doesn't appear to be coming from the cam cover.

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

20230417_081329.jpg

20230417_081323.jpg

There are a couple of potential sources for oil to leak in this area other than the cylinder head and valve cover gasket. The oil pressure switch seen in the 2nd picture attached to the rear of the cylinder head could be loose/leaking. In the automotive world, I've seen oil leak where the plastic part of the switch is crimped into the metal portion. Also, the crankcase breather hose runs up in this area. Check to see it's not cracked or worn through.

There are a couple of potential sources for oil to leak in this area other than the cylinder head and valve cover gasket. The oil pressure switch seen in the 2nd picture attached to the rear of the cylinder head could be loose/leaking. In the automotive world, I've seen oil leak where the plastic part of the switch is crimped into the metal portion. Also, the crankcase breather hose runs up in this area. Check to see it's not cracked or worn through.
Thanks so much for the help! I put on the glasses and hit them both with the UV light. Both where clean. My wife decided to look and pointed out there was some leakage around the valve cover, but looked fairly light with the dye, also the gasket (where I could see) looked good. Same with the head gasket. There one spot I can't see very good and it's where there is some pooling. I guess my next thing is going to be pulling the air breather box so I can get a clearer view of the back of the motor. I'm hoping it's the valve cover. Not the head gasket lol. I bought the bike back in Feb from a 1 owner. He had the valves adjusted at 30K, I'm at 38K now. Would be super nice if the cover bolts just needed to be re-torqued 😆. I've got an new gasket if that's the issue. If it's an head gasket.... probably gonna have to bit the bullet and bring it to triumph 😅

The VC gasket is a common failure item. Often all you need to do is re-torque but the gasket can slide out of place depending on how it was installed after the valve adjustment. The only place I use sealant is in the 4 cutouts needed for the camshaft bores. I also add a drop of super glue to hold the gasket to the head in critical spots like the spark plug holes.

Regarding the cylinder head leaking, I can't remember the time where it actually happened???? Doubt you will be the first.

The VC gasket is a common failure item. Often all you need to do is re-torque but the gasket can slide out of place depending on how it was installed after the valve adjustment. The only place I use sealant is in the 4 cutouts needed for the camshaft bores. I also add a drop of super glue to hold the gasket to the head in critical spots like the spark plug holes.

Regarding the cylinder head leaking, I can't remember the time where it actually happened???? Doubt you will be the first.
Thanks! That makes me feel alot better! Gonna focus on the VC gasket this evening when i get home. If I can't find any issues with it, gonna re-tourqe and clean everything and see if that solves if it, if not gonna take the cover off and replace the gasket. Cheap fixes first right! 😆

Those valve cover bolts are SHOULDER BOLTS. Unless accidentally missed, re-torquing will do nothing.
Well, didn't do me any good lol Cleaned everything real good and had dye in the oil. It's pretty obvious with the uv that's it coming from the head. I dropped it off last Saturday at the dealership. They are about 2 weeks behind so just waiting right now. They said they would give an estimate before the work. Hopefully not too crazy. I'm bracing for 1500-3500.

Attachments

• Resized_20230416_162421(1).jpeg
    Resized_20230416_162421(1).jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 31
My 2013 leaks also from cam cover gasket. People are calling it a valve cover which is wrong. I’m going to have dealer change it this fall.

Back