Here's how I converted my R3 throttle from 1/4 turn to approx 3/16 turn. If you decide to try this, you do so at your own risk. That said, I'm very pleased with my results and won't go back to stock.

Open your throttle cable housing and release all cable adjustment at handlebar:

Cut a "slice" from a plastic pipe coupler with 1.125" ID. I used an ABS white "garden" pipe coupler because a 3/4" PVC coupler has too small of an ID. The "slice" (ring) should be about 6mm thick. Check your throttle for correct thickness.

Cut the ring to about 7/8 of the circle, and chamfer ends as shown. The correct length of the circle will be the outer distance of your stock cable run between the 2 cable ends. If you cut it shorter, it will slip.

Holding throttle open, slip crescent piece under cable, around throttle. You will have to flex the piece, and use a small flat blade screwdriver to gently lift cable. Be careful not to kink cable.

The crescent piece will lie under the cables, and be held in position by the housing when re-assembled:

After re-assembly of housing, be sure to remove all slack from throttle cable with handlebar adjustment. In my case removing all slack also canceled the spring return of my throttle, but this could be because my throttle cables are a bit too long from handlebar change. If you ride with this and find the cable slips off the crescent, it's because you did not make a piece to exactly fit the cable groove... try again. This mod cost me $1.53, because I bought 2 couplers to find right size.

My thanks to Chad (Regulator) for showing me the article on 675net that first decribed this mod.

Last edited:
Good mod and great "how to". does the cresent fit all the way between the two cable receivers?

Thanks, Lonnie

Yes, if you make it shorter than that, it will slip. Also the long edges must be square, not sanded round (otherwise cables slip off).

Last edited:
Back