My Unexpurgated Amatuer Review of the 2020 GT

@Azisbest thanks for that review. Triumph answered my letter asking them about when the next actual R3T would be out and they said no plans at present and recommended I try the R3GT or Bonneville America. That kind of ticked me off sounding like the person answering the mail did not know what an R3T is by that response. But I digress...

I too think the sixth gear and cruise control are a bonus and want those add-ons. But the other electronics do not yet move me. I admit that Brahma is the first ABS bike out of 27 others I have ridden and now am sold on it, so maybe I can be persuaded later.

The negatives you mention are significant for me though: no floorboards, uncomfortable seat (yes I get your idea of being new and different) and no windscreen. These things are quite important to me when I do the long rides. Also, my ride has to be able to carry everything I need for a two-up, three day weekend. On first look, the R3GT misses that capability.

With that said, what are your thoughts on the panniers? They appear to be significantly smaller than
the R3T's. When I travel alone, I camp out and Brahma looks like the pictures below; I am not sure the R3GT is going to work for me. What do you think?

15665381_10210066107542291_2378232258973875201_n.jpg
15665649_10210066107102280_4365274470533701770_n.jpg

RS Reunion 2019.jpg

Appreciate the feedback and review. Also, I never really liked “experts”, which is a contraction of ex and spurt! Used to be, a little bit!

All anyone can offer is their own unique perspective! Which you did! Love to hear more once you’ve had more time on it!

Appreciate the feedback and review. Also, I never really liked “experts”, which is a contraction of ex and spurt! Used to be, a little bit!

All anyone can offer is their own unique perspective! Which you did! Love to hear more once you’ve had more time on it!

R3R and GT are more sports orientated. I think you need to have a cruiser with the storage space for touring. Lets see what the after market vendors do. GIVI Rack/Full set ?

I think we all would prefer to have both versions of rocket :)

So in my case the New Rocket R would replace my fireblade

Great review. Thanks for taking the time to write it. I've never had a bike I couldn't setup the way I like it. This is a power cruiser but could be made into a full touring bike if a guy wanted to go that direction. I want a bike I can ride local and do a few mods and when I want to take a road trip I can throw a bag on it and go. This bike will do all that.

@Azisbest

With that said, what are your thoughts on the panniers? They appear to be significantly smaller than
the R3T's. When I travel alone, I camp out and Brahma looks like the pictures below; I am not sure the R3GT is going to work for me. What do you think?

15665381_10210066107542291_2378232258973875201_n.jpg
15665649_10210066107102280_4365274470533701770_n.jpg

RS Reunion 2019.jpg

That there's a hauler...I suppose it is only a matter of time until someone whips up a hitch for the new GT. When I was riding my Yamaha FJR I looked a a few hitch options that would maintain the sport touring and still be safe. Albeit we were able to squeeze two-up 4 day trips on that bike, but were required to stay in hotels along the way.

"Experts"... yes... My wife and I were watching some new R3 videos and those from a salesman at a dealership (whether right or wrong) had less credibility so we pretty much skipped those...
-MIG

That there's a hauler...I suppose it is only a matter of time until someone whips up a hitch for the new GT. When I was riding my Yamaha FJR I looked a a few hitch options that would maintain the sport touring and still be safe. Albeit we were able to squeeze two-up 4 day trips on that bike, but were required to stay in hotels along the way.
And you are skinnier than me, less volume for clothes... ;-)

I wouldn't hesitate for a second buying the GT if I could find a dealer that isn't over 100 miles away.The thought of trading in my 05 for a 20 does sound appealing..;) I do all my basic services but as far as major repairs I'm not set up for it and to be honest I don't have the time. The hassles I had in 2005 just finding a dealer that stocked and put on tires was a joke.I'm not prejudice when it comes to brand names I've had all the big four. I have no problem finding a reasonable priced Harley or BMW dealer etc. in my lo-cal but dishing out over 20K for a bike and have it S.T.B. isn't a situation I want to be in without some local back up.The only 2 Triumph dealers I trust are in another state of NH..and they're not cheap. At the moment I have a great Triumph mechanic but I've had great mechanics in the past that have come and gone.In this neck of the woods good Triumph mechanics are as rare as hens teeth.

Last edited:
Back