My Unexpurgated Amatuer Review of the 2020 GT

Azisbest

Turbocharged
Ride
2020 GT
Well I am in no way an expert and I will admit the following information is anecdotal in that I have only ridden a grand total of two Rockets. The first is my 2015 R3T, the second is my recently purchased 2020 GT. But this is as fair of a comparison as is possible from an admitted non expert. I must make clear I absolutely loved my 2015 to which I added Carpenter exhaust, Commander 5 controller and many other non performance enhancing mods. I put 43,000 miles on it.

Performance: No comparison, the GT would absolutely walk away and leave the Touring. Keep in mind I rode the Touring hard, not to brag but I had never been passed in the tight twisties by any other cruiser and have in fact passed many sport bikes in those twisties. But any decent rider on the GT would have left me jaw dropped and humbled. It is that quick and powerful and maneuverable. Along with a buttery smooth transmission the package is awesome. Thats not even including the cornering ABS which is unobtrusive and very user friendly allowing a more aggressive riding style for those who are not quite so normally adventurous.

The sixth gear and cruise control on the GT make freeway riding much more enjoyable in comparison to the Touring. Add to that, due to the lower overall weight, working your way around the suburban shopping mall parking lot with the motor off is so much easier with the GT. It seems 300 lbs lighter in that situation rather than the 88 lbs Triumph claims.

The things I prefer on the Touring are the one, the windshield, the GT does not have one. Well it does have a patch of plastic the could almost fit in your pocket but it hardly provides the protection and comfort of the Touring windshield. Also the seat on the Touring is more comfortable but I must admit any new seat would probably feel awkward compared to what I was used to. Additionally I am one that prefers floorboards over pegs.

One, probably weird side note, I somehow love the sheer mass of the Touring provided compared to the slimmed down version the GT offers. But the increased maneuverability that compactness provides is for sure a plus.

I was ambivalent in the least, and actually fearful about selling the Touring and getting the GT, but a few hundred miles later I am in love with this new product of British engineering. Fit, finish, and aesthetics are also off the charts, everyone is in awe of the machine, well done Triumph.

Anyway my opinions only, but do yourself a favor and ride one of the 2020 rockets. They are a hoot.

One, probably weird side note, I somehow love the sheer mass of the Touring provided compared to the slimmed down version the GT offers.
This is indeed interesting.

One of the properties my 2009 has that endears it (still) to me is the capability to resist even quite nasty sidewinds etc (@warp9.9 experience aside). Gave me the confidence to ride in some quite atrocious weather that would have me scurrying for shelter on something lighter. Which (imo) is very very practical if you are a long way from home and mid journey with schedules to meet. In my case - ferries.

I say this as the little KTM get's blown all over the place even in quite moderate hurricanes. The new R3 will of course not be THAT light.

Let's face it - it would be a serious blow to Triumph if the 2500 was not an evolved and "better" bike in many respects.

Last edited:
This is indeed interesting.

One of the properties my 2009 has that endears it (still) to me is the capability to resist even quite nasty sidewinds etc (@warp9.9 experience aside). Gave me the confidence to ride in some quite atrocious weather that would have me scurrying for shelter on something lighter. Which (imo) is very very practical if you are a long way from home and mid journey with schedules to meet. In my case - ferries.

I say this as the little KTM get's blown all over the place even in quite moderate hurricanes. The new R3 will of course not be THAT light.

Let's face it - it would be a serious blow to Triumph if the 2500 was not an evolved and "better" bike in many respects.

I have only a few hundred miles on the GT so far but I was on a very curvy mountain road to day with strong crosswinds and they had little effect, this is still a 700 pound machine (wet). And no problems so far on the freeway with 18 wheelers all around.

Not having an enormous windscreen is a huge plus for me. Sounds like it’s ALL good - which frankly comes as no surprise given the brilliant offerings from Triumph generally, especially in the last 5 years.

What the heck, Richard! :eek:
You sound like a Triumph sycophant. :whitstling:
Do you work for them, or something?! :rolleyes: :roll: :p

@1olbull Not any more Steve. Well perhaps occasionally...by request.
I have 4 in the garage though, the oldest being 2016 model. They’ll all so dam good I can’t bring myself to part with any of them. One more seems not an option right now, or so I’m told - but I’m working on it (except there’s 2 more I want). :laugh:

@1olbull Not any more Steve. Well perhaps occasionally...by request.
I have 4 in the garage though, the oldest being 2016 model. They’ll all so dam good I can’t bring myself to part with any of them. One more seems not an option right now, or so I’m told - but I’m working on it (except there’s 2 more I want). :laugh:

Just recently got myself in a stir for that new GT.
Been there, done that buying a new model year, one that was even bike of the year in 2004. it had lots of issues and rather than fix, it was discontinued just 5 years later.
So, I shall force myself to be patient this time.
Besides I have a second R3R I want to build a tad.

Back