that plus the other guy and his insurance company is liable for your damages. The accident will be charged 100% to the other fella' as being the proximate and sole cause of your losses. Your insurance company will not rate (increase the cost of) your policy one red cent!

Yes, but keep a copy of your police report and a copy of all checks the other insurance sends you as proof.

They OWE you list price for ALL of the damaged parts, but they also OWE all book labor times. Dont tell them they can just keep the labor $$$$$$$ :banghead: of course the crooks will be :D to keep YOUR $$$$$$$ - thats just throwing money away that YOU have been paying into on your premiums. Dont cut them one cent slack. Make them pay lavor times even if you do the work. They owe it. Period

insurance companies are always there for you until you need to submit a claim

Sorry to hear about your accident and hope healing goes well.
I was in your situation 5 weeks ago, my 05 R3 was totaled in a group ride also. Believe me it does get better with time. I replaced the R3 with a new 2015 R3T and just started riding again last week, little jaunts so far and have 100 miles on the clock. Rebuild or replace, whatever works for you but take it easy and slowly get back to speed.

Well, I dunno...I don't get the best rates available, but I do get stable rates, and I'd like to think pro-activity is part of that stability. I do hang onto the same two insurers for decades though.

I've had the same ins co. for 30 years!
I don't make small claims and carry a $1,000 deductible.
When needed - go full tilt.
The pissed-off fellow from Texas is correct!

Well, as a less than informative update on my delema, I'm still waiting on the adjuster to look at the bike this Friday. Unfortunately, I have to be out of town so my son is going to open the garage for the viewing. Maybe I'll get on the phone and talk to him as he survey the damage.

I sent one of my concerns to the guy I am dealing with and he forwarded the information to the adjuster. My concern about the swing arm being deflect off to the right enough during the impact to dent the right silencer/muffler and that the disk brake banjo bolt scratch the back of the right pannier/bag have been forwarded to the adjuster. To further complicate matters even more I bought a 3 year extended aftermarket warranty for $1,120.00 when I bought my bike. My bike just now went off factory warranty...how do I recover that loss? If I have to get a new bike and even with a super deal on it (some decent dealer deals on eBay), it will cost me close to $5k over and above what I still owe I my bike loan when it's paid off. This is a no win situation except except for being alive and reasonably well. Not that its not the biggest plus!

As for my leg, I can walk and get around on it pretty good as long as I don't touch it. Bone bruises are vicious and it's still swollen some. It bothers me most at night when I sleep. I play pedal steel guitar and I can't rock my ankle on the E9th neck pedals yet either. If it continues to heal and there are no long term issues, I'll be good to ride next year. Thanks again for all of the advice and well wishes. I'll let you know how it turns out next week.

Last edited:
IF you get another bike from an actual dealer, he might be able to transfer your extended warranty. Mine is transferable to a new owner, so I am betting you can transfer it to a new bike if the previous one is a total loss.

@Bedifferent Concerning your extended warranty, different states have different statues regarding recovery of the funds, pro-rated, if you sell or destroy your vehicle. California, for example, allows you to recover the remaining time if you sell the vehicle, by contacting the original dealer, who must cut you a check. The problem with this is that it needs to be notarized and done in writing so they can't *****around for months on end because each month reduces the check they have to cut.

When I sold my last car, I tried to get my balance back, dealership was out of business. Check into it in your state, you may get nearly all the balance back since your just out of the factory warranty and on the extended.

If you're updside down on the loan, that's what gap is for, if you don't have gap, sorry to say your SOL. The unfortunate part is if you get replacement value, now you've got enough to pay off the loan and you're empty handed for a down payment.

Back