My plans for a gel seat

Wrecka

Living Legend
Ride
2013 R3R
Remember a while back someone had a crack at 'self-upholstering' . Don't remember who but do remember he copped a bit of stick about his handiwork. Sure you'll do a fancier job Wrecka :whitstling: hahaha

Good luck mate. I've seen those covers before and if you're careful with the padding/gel it should come up looking pretty good.

Hahah here's my copout " im just putting it together for RDU " , no i can be pretty handy at times if i just remain patient and measure twics

When I re-did my seat, after removing the staples and carefully taking off the cover, I shaved the foam down with an old household electric carving knife a bit to better fit the shape of my butt and my thighs, added some thin pieces of high impact foam on both sides of the seat area to protect my butt bones from bruising, and then covered it all with a thin layer of memory foam. I used some very good 3M aerosol rubberized flexible contact cement I got at the foam/uphostelry shop that sold me my materials.

My wife has a danny gray buttcrack solo seat on her tricked out 2000 Roadstar Silverado, which for me is one of the most comfortable seats I have ever sat on, so I kinda used it as a pattern. (She still doesn't know I took her seat cover off to see how it was made - and I am hoping you all do not tell on me...lol)

I opted not to use a gel pad because my bike had a stock triumph gel seat when I first got it, and the gel got way too hot when the bike was sitting in the sun, so I traded it to a guy on craigslist for some other stuff I needed - plus I already had an Airhawk R version inflatable seat pad for long rides.

Just take your time puting the cover back on, anchor the front and rear corners first, then work your way back and forth, side to side and front to rear, carefully stretching it as you go. I used an electric staple gun - made the job go easier and faster.

Good luck...and let's see some pics when it is finished.

Here ya go, no sewing required :p

image.jpg

Back