My Carpenter 240 build

Final thoughts....

Carpenter Racing is a small business, they dont have a receptionist or any admin staff. I've never had a problem reaching them, but I have heard that others have. A little patience and very likely Bob himself will answer. Everyone I spoke with at Carpenter was curtious, helpful and had an answer to my querrys and questions.

A few things that I discovered along the way:

Carpenter set the valve clearance fat. Its my belief they do this as you now have stronger springs, new retaners, etc and will settle some as its run in.

The rings are a TIGHT fit. Follow Carpenters guidance unless you have more experience than them! I was told they are ordered to Carpenter spec.

I never really did get a straightforward answer on the break in proceedure.( if you research this, everyone has an opinion!) So I followed my experience with a couple of high idle heat cycles and ride it!

The stock starting system CANNOT crank this much compression. Not even one rev! So consider at a minimum a heavier ground in your plans if you decide you want this. The 1.4 kW starter IMO is what's needed to handle this kind of cranking power.

Run premium fuel. Running on 87 octane is nonsense. I was getting detonation with 93 during the tune, so unless you want to do this twice go with premium fuel.

Of course all of this is just my 2 cents. I don't know it all!

@r-

Final thoughts....

Carpenter Racing is a small business, they dont have a receptionist or any admin staff. I've never had a problem reaching them, but I have heard that others have. A little patience and very likely Bob himself will answer. Everyone I spoke with at Carpenter was curtious, helpful and had an answer to my querrys and questions.

Carpenter set the valve clearance fat. Its my belief they do this as you now have stronger springs, new retaners, etc and will settle some as its run in.

The rings are a TIGHT fit. Follow Carpenters guidance unless you have more experience than them! I was told they are ordered to Carpenter spec.

I never really did get a straightforward answer on the break in proceedure.( if you research this, everyone has an opinion!) So I followed my experience with a couple of high idle heat cycles and ride it!

The stock starting system CANNOT crank this much compression. Not even one rev! So consider at a minimum a heavier ground in your plans if you decide you want this. The 1.4 kW starter IMO is what's needed to handle this kind of cranking power.

Run premium fuel. Running on 87 octane is nonsense. I was getting detonation with 93 during the tune, so unless you want to do this twice go with premium fuel.

@r-

All of this proves you a very smart feller ;) instead of griping about a few negatives, you git it :cool:

Last edited:
To lazy to research this long thread . . .
What compression you running? :D

5C1A402D-758B-4DA7-AEF7-886DA0840B8C.jpeg
Just added these rain covers from Outerwears. They perfectly fit the K&N RX4040-1 filters. Outerwears PN 20-1109-03. Seemed like a good idea since every time I ride lately it rains!

Worked when I bought my snowthrower!

Well, its tuned! I opted for the 8k rev limit as the power started to drop before 8k. The bike was tuned with the K&N 4040 filters in place, CES headers and 93 octane pump gas. It isn't 240 horse, but this is around what I figured it would make. It did make more with the timing advanced, but the tuner felt that was pushing it toward trouble.
20190330_144242.jpg

20190330_144235.jpg

Final thoughts....

@r-

A great list of lessons learned, it all seems so familiar.

These things are mainly what drove all the little changes POST 265 conversion on my bike.

Things like:
4 BAR regulator
Bigger injectors
Crank Case Evacuation
COP Conversion
Bigger Starter
Regarding the idle timing and shaping the curve to the idle lands in a timing "valley" on the table, it prevents surging but provides a strong stall resistance.

Nice to see 100% independent validation of the things people were questioning, but I was observing.

Seeing any odd behavior right at 2k when cruising steady state?

A great list of lessons learned, it all seems so familiar.

These things are mainly what drove all the little changes POST 265 conversion on my bike.

Things like:
4 BAR regulator
Bigger injectors
Crank Case Evacuation
COP Conversion
Bigger Starter
Regarding the idle timing and shaping the curve to the idle lands in a timing "valley" on the table, it prevents surging but provides a strong stall resistance.

Nice to see 100% independent validation of the things people were questioning, but I was observing.

Seeing any odd behavior right at 2k when cruising steady state?
I was experiencing some stumbling, which was later corrected in the l table tuning. It’s fixed now for the most part. Still playing with the l table (not fueling just where it’s used) to get it seamless.

Also consistent, right at 2k I think there's a minor reversion issue, though, it may be much more mild with the 240 cam.

Back