Mounting the Zumo 550

Captain Rich

Supercharged
Has anyone mounted the Garmin Zumo 550 off of their Windscreen frame? I'd like to put it in that unused space behind the speedo/tach but I'm running a Triumph fixing kit with a Clearview +5 screen and there would be only 1 bolt to secure the Garmin mount. Is this sufficient? Anyone tried or know of reasons that make this a bad idea? :? :? :? Alternatives are welcome and encouraged...the handlebars are cluttered already with Triumph Clock, Fuel Guage, and Heated Grip/Fog Lamp switches.

I found power for the Zumo by splicing into the pilot lamp of the left headlight. The circuit is fused, there is room to get the wire through the gromet. The lamp has two wires, hot and ground and is powered up with the ignition on.

HTH,
Tom

Tom, the wiring harness they supply appears to be long enough to go all the way back to the fuse block under the seat and I was planning to install power from there. Did you choose the headlamp wiring for a particular reason?

I have found a bracket on the RAM website that mounts with a single screw...I'm thinking I'll get a longer bolt for the center windscreen bolt and mount it off of there. I'm a little concerned that the weight might be more than the windscreen bracket can take, but we'll see.

If you pull power from the headlight, the unit will shut off everytime you shut the bike off, Yes it has a battery, but it recognizes when external power is lost and shuts off in 30 seconds unless you tell it not too, That would be a PITA in my aopinion. I ran a fused link from an auxiliary panel off the battery.

If you haven't fitted an accessory socket, there is a switched 12V supply curled up behind the blanked off panel on the left hand side. Two spade connectors into these and away you go.

I think the bottom, horizonal connector was the positive but check with a meter.

If someone's fitted a Zumo, can they post pics?

I was thinking that throwing away the useless fuel gauge is an option; replacing it with the Zumo.

If you use any bracket other than Garmin's you lose a lot of features built into the Zumo. The RAM stuff is good but you will lose too much, bluetooth for instance. I wired right to the fuse block and had plenty of wire left over. Personally I don't mind having the option of shutting down or continuing on battery power. All it takes is one touch of your finger after you have made the decision. Be sure to update the unit before you begin using it! Several glitches have been fixed.

I'm planning to keep the Garmin GPS mount but not use the handlebar mount they supplied (which is a RAM product)...RAM also has a base available to mount under an existing bolt. I was just trying to figure out if anyone had done a windscreen mount before and if there were any issues. I ordered the base from cycle gadgets - it as a 9mm hole and a 45 degree offset; once that's on, the rest of what Garmin supplied in the box will connect to it. http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?item=RAM-BA

Yogi said:
If you pull power from the headlight, the unit will shut off everytime you shut the bike off, Yes it has a battery, but it recognizes when external power is lost and shuts off in 30 seconds unless you tell it not too, That would be a PITA in my aopinion. I ran a fused link from an auxiliary panel off the battery.

It does draw power all the time when wired this way. I would be concerned with having a dead battery if you don't use a battery tender or run it often.

To each his own though.

Regards,
Tom

Back