Mounting an Exedra Max rear tire on the new 3R = Better Handling

This is a DIY install of the Exedra Max on the new 3R. It requires minor modifications to the forward most rear fender and, if doing it yourself, a tire stand and Mojo Lever - I'd say about a two beer rating for time/difficulty.

The result, in my opinion, is a less expensive tire that provides better performance, handling, and wear.
IMG_1261 2.jpeg

The Exedra Max has proven to be a very good tire on my ’11 Roadster. The Exedra goes for $200, as opposed to $312 (WTF?) for the Cobra Chrome at Rocky Mountain ATV. With an average of three tire changes/year this is a significant difference.

What you can expect: The Exedra is 1” taller, so you have to raise the fender on the front of the swing arm up an extra 1/2.”
* A couple of 1/2" spacers and a short piece of metal (thanks @Tal for the tip) was all that was needed to make the switch. So, the bike sits taller, but for me, with only a 30” inseam, it seems like it’s a couple of inches taller. This will provide you with more clearance (fewer peg drags) and, because the rake is changed, quicker handling that you’ll especially notice on the twisties.

*Edit- I was getting some whistling so I raised the fender up another 1/2" and it went away. So, raise the fender 1"

About the mounting....
Just 5 bolts and the wheel is off!

IMG_1246 2.jpeg

I use Motion Pro irons to break the beads- easy.
IMG_1245 2.jpeg

I've been using the Mojo Level on the Roadster and it works great on the 3R too. I balance using Marc Parnes' setup, but the 3R has a large hub opening and I need to see about getting some kind of adapter. This time I used Dyna Beads, but I really prefer the traditional method.

Speaking of wheel weights- there were a boat load of them on there from the factory to balance out the Cobra Chrome. I've never had to use that many weights.
IMG_1247 2.jpeg

The Cobras wore more on one side and this is what I had left at 3,150 miles....
IMG_1243 2.jpeg

The front also needs replacing and is cupping (my usual experience with Avons). It'll get changed before meeting up in Maggie Valley next weekend. I usually get about 4,000 from a tire on the Roadster, so I'm not sure if it's just the Chromes, or if the new bike is even more hungry for tires - I guess I'll know in the next 3-4K.
thanks for the good info. anybody pairing this rear with a taller front to increase height and lean angle? The lean angle is giving me a little buyers remorse

I had this conversation with speedo healer manufacturer. Been emailing them back and forth. They’re currently working on a speedo healer for our bikes. The speedometer on our bikes are not controlled by the rear wheel sensor which is why installing a taller tire has no effect on the speedometer. Mine reads 5 mph faster than actual speed.

This is a DIY install of the Exedra Max on the new 3R. It requires minor modifications to the forward most rear fender and, if doing it yourself, a tire stand and Mojo Lever - I'd say about a two beer rating for time/difficulty.

The result, in my opinion, is a less expensive tire that provides better performance, handling, and wear.
IMG_1261 2.jpeg

The Exedra Max has proven to be a very good tire on my ’11 Roadster. The Exedra goes for $200, as opposed to $312 (WTF?) for the Cobra Chrome at Rocky Mountain ATV. With an average of three tire changes/year this is a significant difference.

What you can expect: The Exedra is 1” taller, so you have to raise the fender on the front of the swing arm up an extra 1/2.”
* A couple of 1/2" spacers and a short piece of metal (thanks @Tal for the tip) was all that was needed to make the switch. So, the bike sits taller, but for me, with only a 30” inseam, it seems like it’s a couple of inches taller. This will provide you with more clearance (fewer peg drags) and, because the rake is changed, quicker handling that you’ll especially notice on the twisties.

*Edit- I was getting some whistling so I raised the fender up another 1/2" and it went away. So, raise the fender 1"

About the mounting....
Just 5 bolts and the wheel is off!

IMG_1246 2.jpeg

I use Motion Pro irons to break the beads- easy.
IMG_1245 2.jpeg

I've been using the Mojo Level on the Roadster and it works great on the 3R too. I balance using Marc Parnes' setup, but the 3R has a large hub opening and I need to see about getting some kind of adapter. This time I used Dyna Beads, but I really prefer the traditional method.

Speaking of wheel weights- there were a boat load of them on there from the factory to balance out the Cobra Chrome. I've never had to use that many weights.
IMG_1247 2.jpeg

The Cobras wore more on one side and this is what I had left at 3,150 miles....
IMG_1243 2.jpeg

The front also needs replacing and is cupping (my usual experience with Avons). It'll get changed before meeting up in Maggie Valley next weekend. I usually get about 4,000 from a tire on the Roadster, so I'm not sure if it's just the Chromes, or if the new bike is even more hungry for tires - I guess I'll know in the next 3-4K.
Can you please post a side pic of your bike with that new tire so I can see the stance of the bike with the taller rear tire. Much appreciated. That’s crazy how bald your stock tire was after only 3100 miles. My bike currently has 7600 miles on the stock tires. 3400 of those miles was from a road trip to sturgis and back from Texas. I’ll post a pic of how my stock rear tire looks.

Attachments

• 9534047A-F4C9-470B-9EBC-B13E18672AF7.jpeg
    9534047A-F4C9-470B-9EBC-B13E18672AF7.jpeg
    268.6 KB · Views: 31
Can you please post a side pic of your bike with that new tire so I can see the stance of the bike with the taller rear tire. Much appreciated. That’s crazy how bald your stock tire was after only 3100 miles. My bike currently has 7600 miles on the stock tires. 3400 of those miles was from a road trip to sturgis and back from Texas. I’ll post a pic of how my stock rear tire looks.
I'll try to remember to do that. I doubt that the difference in height will look obvious though as it only sits up 1/2 inch taller (1/2 inches below the axle and 1/2 above). At 5'6" with a 30" inseam I can feel the difference sitting on it though.

Cool I’m just curious to see how it looks. I still have a lot of life left on my stock tires but I have the same rear tire sitting in my garage waiting.
I'll try to remember to do that. I doubt that the difference in height will look obvious though as it only sits up 1/2 inch taller (1/2 inches below the axle and 1/2 above). At 5'6" with a 30" inseam I can feel the difference sitting on it though.
s

@Journeyman28778 just mounted an exedra max to the rear. Planning on throwing another cobra chrome on the front. Is that the setup you’re running? It’s been absolute insanity trying to source a rear cobra chrome. No one has had them in stock for months. Everywhere says sold out for the season. Triumph themselves were no help. Think it’s pretty unacceptable for an oem tire to be unobtainable lol. Even emailed Avon. No response. Had one preordered from summit racing only to have the order canceled weeks later due to the “product being discontinued” which I’m sure was just an auto response to being sold out for the season.

@Journeyman28778 just mounted an exedra max to the rear. Planning on throwing another cobra chrome on the front. Is that the setup you’re running? It’s been absolute insanity trying to source a rear cobra chrome. No one has had them in stock for months. Everywhere says sold out for the season. Triumph themselves were no help. Think it’s pretty unacceptable for an oem tire to be unobtainable lol. Even emailed Avon. No response. Had one preordered from summit racing only to have the order canceled weeks later due to the “product being discontinued” which I’m sure was just an auto response to being sold out for the season.
I think the 240 Avon Cobra Chrome is a goner. No mas, extinct. With the UK motorcycle plant closing down time to make other arrangements. I would assume although I dig the tire and wish it wasn't true, Avon won't make them anymore. I have been looking for a few months and they are truly Unobtanium. :mad:

Back