major electrical gremlins post handlebar change

v*twin

.040 Over
Ride
Rocket3,Concours,CBR250R
changed the 05 classic handlebar last night.The new stock handlebar appeared to be a little narrow and had to meddle with throttle cables to install the handlebar.
Post the handle bar change
>engine stalls(literally dies when holding the throttle)
>IDL stepper &(throttle sesone i think ,located middle of throttle body) is energising and adjusting even if iginition is in off position.
I have a spare ignition swich that I carry along on long trips,changed the ignition and did the same thing eVen with the new igition switch and also if disconnect ignition switch coupler from the harness.
>Battery seems to be discharging rapdidly(seems like a short somewhere)
>When i disconnected both IDL and throttle psotion sensor.The Iddle stepper didnt move with ignition in off position.

There is also Tacometer cicuite fault code.whcih I erased.

Could my meddling of throttle cable could have caused some change in setting or electrical harness issue.Any help would be appreciated

WOW sounds like you got aa plug wrong????
if there is a short there will be heat... touch all the conections you can and even the stepper motor including all other componants and wires to try and locate this short. I dont know what it is....:confused:

none of plugs were disconnected when i swapped the handlebar.recharged the battery but still idlestepper is getting energized even if ignition is turned off.Only if i disconnect battery it stops.

The easiest way to check for a short is to disconnect the negative side of the battery, set your multi-meter to read amps and with the ignition switch in the off position check for a current draw between the negative battery cable and the negative battery post. This won't tell you where it is, but it will **** sure tell you if there is a short.

was able to islolate the source of problem
>The trouble started after I changed the handle bar..throttle cable were stretched and seemed to be source of the problem.So I changed back to old handlebar and was able to start if the tunred the handlebar to right.

After isolating guages,ignition switch,handlebar switches,headlights,all relays

Noticed spark when the triple tree cables clip(pointed in attached pic 3492 ).With Engine Kill switch turned on & When I turn the handlebar the cable clip makes contact with front shock and can start up& evrything is powered up(sparks contininously)

Further removed each connector of headlight, right & left handlebar switches., gauge and also tested with my spare ignition switch

Finally think have got to the source its is the FOGlight wiring..
>If I disconnect the connector of FOGLAMP from main harness..No spark and nothing powers up even with ignition turned ON
>With foglamp relay removed from socket still sparks and powers up(so can rule out the relay)
>Removed the connectors of each fog lamp & one of fog lamps disconnected nothing happens(spark)

Now cant figure out how foglamp wiring,ignition switch are related
>could this be one of the relays
>Can someone confirm the fuel pump,cooling fan and engine ECU relay rating is same and they all have diode & Starter relay is without a diode(verified with biekbandit partnumber)
>with ignition switched off now,the trip coputer is blinking and also both trips were erased.

I am planning to change the main harness.(My only mode of transport this month,need this bike up as soon as possible).Could this be something related to ECU

The Idlle stepper and throtthle position is not energised anymore with ignition turned off

Will appreaciate any input to further checks to resolve this issue

Thanks

Attachments

• IMAG3491.jpg
    IMAG3491.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMAG3490.jpg
    IMAG3490.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMAG3492.jpg
    IMAG3492.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 87
photos of connectors for fog lamps that seems to be affecting ignition switch if I disconnect all 4 connectors .Nothing happens
>with 4 connector conencted and fog lamp relay removed ..It still sparks and can start up.But pin pointed to one pair of conenctor that is causing the problem.

Also no fuses are blown .

Attachments

• IMAG3491.jpg
    IMAG3491.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 96
Just a hunch but could you have disturbed the wires and attachments inside the throttle grip assembly?

I am thinking a power short is making the front end live.

had taken apart the throttle assembly..the engine kill switch worked alright was normally open upto the main harness connector
>horn isn't connected
>will check momentary start switch

Back