Electrical Gremlins Part 5: The Reckoning?

Make sure any lithium you buy has a charge management system or a compatible charger for lithium. A charger for lead acid my not charge past 90% full.
The new lithium battery arrived last Friday. Bike started first time every time and I took it for a ride with some stop/start tests on the way. So far everything is working well. I have tested the charge voltage between 2000 rpm and 4000 rpm and it doesn’t exceed 14 V. The battery advises not to exceed 15 V to avoid damage. This was the recommended battery for my bike so hopefully I will not be writing any further updates on this story.

Just to recap, the battery I replaced was less than three years old and I had it tested by a local shop. They said it has good cranking power but evidently it wasn’t up to the job of turning over the 2.3 L lump. I also used jump leads from my car battery and it didn’t make any difference - the voltage remained at around 12.3 V. Likewise I tried another battery with jump leads . It was only when I later tried the jump leads to the car battery with the car engine running that it would start, showing a voltage closer to 14 V. I concluded a new battery was required and my decision to go with a lithium battery will hopefully prove to be a good one. Thanks again for all the feedback and suggestions.

Attachments

• 23C94B53-949C-4624-92F2-8EE21022911A.jpeg
    23C94B53-949C-4624-92F2-8EE21022911A.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 12
Back