Hi terry,
How did this set up work out?

cat
Incredible ! I am 5'9" tall , before the shock change I was on my tip toes. Dropped the bike an inch and now I am flat footed.
But that is not the best part. The bike rides like a dream! So smooth, it's a completely different bike.
I set the rears up right in the middle of adjustment. I weigh 200 lbs and I have yet bottomed it out or scraped the ground in a corner. I also had the same result with the wife on the back too. she weighs about 105 lbs.
I should have done this upgrade 7 years ago when I bought the bike.

Incredible ! I am 5'9" tall , before the shock change I was on my tip toes. Dropped the bike an inch and now I am flat footed.
But that is not the best part. The bike rides like a dream! So smooth, it's a completely different bike.
I set the rears up right in the middle of adjustment. I weigh 200 lbs and I have yet bottomed it out or scraped the ground in a corner. I also had the same result with the wife on the back too. she weighs about 105 lbs.
I should have done this upgrade 7 years ago when I bought the bike.
Hey Terry, reading what you wrote, I'm quite convinced that I'm going to get the lowered shocks as well. Just feel so uncomfortable riding such a beast and not being able to stand flat footed.

For all youse going with 11½ inchers -
Please keep a VERY close eye on your wiring under the rear fender!!!

I put Ikon shocks on mine 40000 klm ago 30mm lower than standard , then dropped it through the triple tree , 25mm to even it up .. it worked for me i can touch the ground now , i'm 5'7" with about 28 inseam ,, with the seat i took some foam out of mine put it did'nt make a difference its the width of the seat thats the problem not the height , so i bought the touring seat and that tends to sit you a bit more forward and works for me . But when all said and done the rocket is a big bike suited to big men , and us short asses just have to be careful in the slow stuffe , u turns ect .

For all youse going with 11½ inchers
aoygjh.jpg

Finally installed the 11.5 progressive 444 as well as customised my seat to be lowered. Totally loving this setup now! Finally having both my feet firmly planted. Now my bike rides like a dream.

Only worry I have now is preloading the suspension properly. The mechanic simply mounted the shocks with no adjustment done.

Hi Terry,
So? Have you lowered your ride yet? How did the parts you posted work out?
Norris
I'm going to do these mods in the near future. Went on a trip to Minnesota last week from Washington State and had a couple slow speed gas station/parking lot close calls and almost dumped it at slow speed. Absolutely love this R3 Touring. Great long trip bike for comfort and 400 plus mile days. Can't beat it once it's going over 5 MPH. Getting older and not as strong so this looks to be the fix. Was actually thinking about selling it and getting a Thunderbird LT, but was talked out of that yesterday by the mechanic at the local triumph shop, due to the myriad of problems with that 1700 motor.

I'm just 5'6" on a good day and have standard length shocks and taller Exedra Max tires. I'm on my toes, but already wishing the bike had more lean angle, so I'm not messing with anything that reduces that.

Just reinforcing a couple of suggestions- thicker sole boots (makes a big difference) and cutting down the foam (especially the width) on your seat. I plan to do that on my Corbin solo seat soon, but have had it this way for years. Finally, I just pick a side- sliding to the left a couple of inches in the seat before stopping and I'm now flat footed on the left. Backing up is the only place where I can see a real advantage. I plan parking carefully, but often just get off and push her back from the side.

Back