britman

Nitrous
Ride
2005 Rocket 3/2014 Moto Guzzi Touring
Quick Question??????? Do you have to slack the throttle cables from the bear claw side to install the Kuryakyn grips? Anybody been there and done that before I head to garage?

Hey Britman, I have those Kury.. grips (flame style) & installed them myself. Why would you think the throttle cables would be affected? You need to decide if you would want to go back to the stock grips in the future cause you'll need to cut the nibs off the stock grip sleeve and this "may" impact the ability of the stock grip to "hold" if reinstalled.

Simply "peel" the throttle grip off the throttle sleeve (after you have removed the vibration dampener weight from the handle bar end). The instructions say to cut the old grips off but I choose not to approach it that way. With a utility knife, trim all the little nibs off the sleeve assuring each one is trimmed smooth with the surface to allow the new grip to slide the best it can. Some of the larger nibs will come off better if you take a little at a time in stead of trying to remove the whole nib at once. Getting the Kury... grips on the sleeve is kind of a pain, you have to work it on a short distance then back off a fraction of the "gained" distance to allow the rubber parts to straighten up. Then advance a little more, back up, advance more, back up. Repeat until installed. You could use a solution of soap & water to slicken up the surface, but I didn't. The left side is easy. In fact the hard part is getting the Kury... grip to stay on. I choose "not" to use the glue provided. I was afraid I'd have to destroy the grip to remove it if I was not satisified with them and could not see cutting the $85 grips.

Note: the Kury.. grips are longer than the stock grips (about an inch) and will hang off the end of the handle bar, unless you can figure some way around that. I can't recall specifically why I did not persue the matter but as of yet, I have not. Surely the small tubing spacer has something to do with allowing the full installation of them, just can't recall. Let me know how it goes, unless you've already completed the task. I'm a little slow at responding to your question.

See ya.

Grip Length

Rusty.......

1. Does the extra length of the Kury grips keep you from putting the weights back on the ends?

2. Would that negate using a mechanical twisting cruise control?

I did not put the weights back on, and the Kury... grips "do" come with a removable end cap which would allow for added accessories. As I stated, if I would have had more time, I could have pondered the installation of the grips closer to see what could be done to "move" everything up the bar to allow full installation of the grips, thus reinstalling the weights. It was the end of the riding season so I just wanted to get a visual of the application. I really do want to figure out the grips because I want to install the throttle lock, but to do so, I'll need to slide the grips (and the clutch & brake brackets) up the bars further.

Maybe when the weather warms, I'll find time to ponder that. Although I am helping a buddy finish off his workshop so when we are finished, and it's toasty warm in there, maybe I could get the Rocket up there to do a little work and address it then. I still have the Signal Minder to install also, so the warm shop approach would work well.

First chance I get, I'll post some pics of the setup (grips & mirrors).

See ya.

Thanks Rusty,

I haven't made it to the garage yet, been one of those weeks. I did quickly take the throttle side apart for a quick peek this afternoon. Throttle cables seem to have very little slack and I want to keep the stock set-up, so I will probably pull the Bear Claw, reserve radiator tank, and slack from the injector side this weekend. A good time to lube the cables anyway. It looks to me you can still run the weights if you want too, by moving the whole lever set up about 1/2 inch up the bar. Will find out when my old butt is not dragging in the dirt. Thanks again for all the help Rusty, will post when the job is done.

I hate grip glue

Grips are on. You do not have to slack the cables from under the fuel injection side. With a little pulling and tugging the throttle cables will fit in the new throttle sleeve. (My set came with the new throttle sleeve already installed.) I retained the old factory grips just incase.You can remove the bear claw factory side with a little WD40 and air. I did not try to install the weights, stainless steel and chrome you know, go togather like George W. and Hillary. You will have to use grip glue to get the bear claw side to stick. I hate that crap, I always use to much and my fingers are sticking to keys as I type. Anyway I will test for vibration and feel when it gets above 20 degrees. Look really good, big grips for a big bike.

kuryakin grips and throttlemeister

Kury grip installation went well, that's great! I was hoping someone would jump in who'd installed a fine pair of Kury grips along with a Throttlemeister. Anyone?? Issues??

I've always applied liquid dish detergent to aid in slidding replacement grips on. A little dab will do ya. And perhaps cutting the "nibs" off would be negated???

And, I'd be curious to know whether the liquid detergent would serve as "grip glue"??? I've never found need or used such glue.

Last edited:
Kury grip installation went well, that's great! I was hoping someone would jump in who'd installed a fine pair of Kury grips along with a Throttlemeister. Anyone?? Issues??

I've always applied liquid dish detergent to aid in slidding replacement grips on. A little dab will do ya. And perhaps cutting the "nibs" off would be negated???

And, I'd be curious to know whether the liquid detergent would serve as "grip glue"??? I've never found need or used such glue.
HeR3tic, I took the bike out for a spin yesterday and hit her pretty hard. I like the bigger Kury grips and could not detect any vibration without the handlebar weights. The throttle side does have a little more play in it where it sits in the handlebar sleeve, but nothing I can't live with. The reason I used the supplied grip glue on the left side was due to the fact the Kury grip did have a little freeplay due to its construction, rubber inserts in the chrome housing. Grip glue did the trick and locked it down good and tight. I don't usually use grip glue, I have heard of people using the liquid detergent, son in law uses hairspray, and I generally use carb cleaner. To each his own, I think they all will work if the grip is a good tight fit. I can't help you with the Throttlemeister, but both ends of the Kury grips are removable, shouldn't be any problem to install.

The Throttlemeister (TM), from the online installation instructions, indicates a plastic insert sleeve (pis) is slid in between the throttle "sleeve" and the overlying rubber grip. The balance of the TM butts up against this pis device to impart the frictional force to keep the throttle in the desired position. From the discussion I read here, the Kury...n grips are longer that stock, "about an inch", and "hang off" the ends of the bars. How it is that the TM end cap mechanisms are mounted with the over hangning 1" is the quandary.

Yes, plain ole bar soap and water works as well. When the water evaporates I believe the remaining tackiness of the soap dries further and might/should serve as a glue. Later on: slide a couple or three short lenths of coat hanger between the bar and grip + add water and remove grips. jus brain stormin

Back