Kuryakyn Ellipse Mirror Install

Pig9r

Living Legend
I have to admit there is nothing really wrong with the factory mirrors however I have been looking at these mirrors for quite some time now and I liked the idea of having a wider convex mirror. So today I pulled the trigger and picked up a pair. You can get them with the metric bike adapter however some shops only offer them in the HD flavor so I had to buy the adapter kit separately.

The parts list:

Kuryakyn Ellipse Convex Mirrors and Metric Adapter Kit

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=metric&ci=2976

These are the new mirrors and adapters:

Remove the stock mirrors using allen wrench. There is a 10mm allen bolt that threads into the mirror's stem from under the mount. Save the washers.

This is what is needed to be removed:

Thread the metric adapter into the base of the new mirrors. I applied some loctite to the threads.

Last edited:
Ellipse Install Cont..

Now place the mirror with adapter connected in the top of the mount. Next place the stock black "wavey/spring" washer and adapter kit supplied shouldered nut on the bottom and tighten. Careful not too tight just snug. There is a metal sleeve that lines the inside of the handlebar mirror mount that gets sandwiched.

Install the other side. I lined the stems of the mirrors to where they are perpendicular with the front wheel. After tightening the mirror body to mirror stem mounts with a small open ended wrench they can be easily adjusted. I noticed right away that they were a lot lower and further out compared to the stock mirrors.

BEFORE:

Link Removed

AFTER:

The first impression after a few miles:

-They offer a better and more usable field of view both behind and beside the bike.
-The glass has a slight bluish tint to it that gives a clearer view in direct sunlight.
-They go fuzzy at about the same speed the stock ones do, about 80mph. Test run to 110mph, fuzzier but still usable.

Last edited:
Pig9r said:
-They go fuzzy at about the same speed the stock ones do, about 80mph. Test run to 110mph, fuzzier but still usable.

I was puzzled when I read this, so I took Guinevere up to 110 mph on Sunday. My stock mirrors were steady, not that I had a lot of time to look at them at that speed!

That being said, 1- That is a beautiful bike.
2- I like the look of your mirrors over the stock set up.

Looking Good Pig9r

Nice job,and they look great too.It seems they will focus more on the business at hand and not reflect what is not relevent,such as sky and blacktop.Now you've given me one more thing to add to the list of must haves.For now though,I'll settle for a heads up riding on the beach and see in the mirror The Blue Angels returning on the deck over the water from a practice run just about any Thursday.;)

Pig9R
My dealer is telling me my mirrors/levers are push thru like a Harley & not threaded.
He said he talked to Kuryakin & this mod won't work on an '06 Classic..
Any helpful info? I really like the looks of those mirrors..
:confused:

Back