K&N PODS or RAMAIR?

I'm not sure what I'm going to do, I have the big 1770s on my Touring, and K&N discontinued the rain covers for them, mine are falling apart.
thumbnail21.jpg

Yours is "juiced", right?
Try the Pipercross like @warp9.9 & @Claviger are using.

The ramair, i think is a nicer solution than the K&N small triples. The 4040s, though, are a fantastic solution and can be made to clear the knee with minimal work. 1770s are also very good, and perform well to at least 200hp.

Up to 200 hp? You do realize the size of these, right? Maybe I have the number wrong, now that you mention it, I do think the 1770s were the little ones that fit under the bearclaw, I gave mine away.
Edit: sorry, 1070s

Yours is "juiced", right?
Try the Pipercross like @warp9.9 & @Claviger are using.

The tank dips way down in the back, why I have the angled filters. Might work, I need to make a mock-up out of styrofoam or something and see.

Last edited:
Just remember the RX4040 has some filter element on the end, which helps direct the flow straighter into the intake. Which is supposed to be a plus.

Cool beans, just found some outerwears that fit the 1070s, and half the price of K&N

Huh, you're right, I thought I was wrong and edited my first post, too, I had originally wrote 1770. Same cover, though, I ordered them red this time. Hoping I can make a Pipercross work, though, they hold your leg out a bit.
1780s, maybe are the small ones, I had them a long time ago?

I put 200 for 1770s, because that's where I've tested them on the Dyno on/off and know they're not a massive restriction.

The 4040s are definitely superior in flow as Steel mentions, but they're quite a bit more expensive. They are overkill for the rocket, but that just means flow will be good. The internal shape is far superior, but at what power level that starts to matter... No idea.

Ramair is more than enough for any N/A bike that's not modified internally, it's convenient, it puts the IAT sensor in the flow of intake air, and fits under the claw easily. Foam is superior to cotton for flow once it gets even slightly dirty, and the dirtier the filter the more the flow gap between foam and cotton, favoring foam. Foam also doesn't force the air to make a 90 degree turn as it passes through the media.

Cons: Foam requires a little bit more care to ensure it doesn't dry and become brittle, meaning, oil that filter!

Not sure why one would use the 1680s, the underclaw K&Ns, with Ramair on the market to be honest, unless you already own them.

Cons: Foam requires a little bit more care to ensure it doesn't dry and become brittle, meaning, oil that filter!
Do NOT oil a Ramair - and be cautious how you clean it. Some solvents can dissolve foams.

Use RAMAIR cleaner and goo (which is not oil). From the colour it is a concentrated form of Pixie mucus. Cornish I think - though @Nat67 will know for sure.

Back