Just got another dyno tune

For what it is worth just got off the phone with the service department, unfortunately Tommy was not available but when inquired they stated they will not tune with TuneECU only PC.

Rick
You might want to ask Tommy himself.

Last time Black Betty went to Carpenter, I got her back and was very unsatisfied with how she ran. Bob didn't seem to have the time or desire to get her running right. I couldn't figure out exactly what the issue was, and was given help and suggestions from a couple of members here. Thanks to those guys! So I brought Betty to another mechanic who tunes race cars and bikes. Again we got nowhere. Finally I brought her to Tommy at Extreme Machines in Millstone NJ. He's the guy who tunes the Triumph Streamliner before they go to Bonneville. Well it turned out that all my problems were in the tune. He wound up getting 251 hp and 185 ft/lbs of torque. That's with pump gas and filters in place. She now has more low and midrange power than ever before. It's no secret that I like sending the front tire skyward, but I'm having to relearn how to ride in 1st gear. Barely off throttle at 25-30% the front tire wants to leave the ground. There is no snapping the throttle open in 1st at anywhere in the rpm range, slow roll of the grip, and she climbs up. Needless to say that I'm ecstatic with the results. :cool:

20181103_174943.jpg
20181103_174956.jpg
Those are incredible numbers. So you hauled the bike from Louisiana to New Jersey?

Exactly how do they do this? Keep changing the tune until peak hp and torque are optimal?

My guess is that you have to get your new low restriction pipes on, get the cat restriction out (mine is a R3T), the crossover in, the airbox mod done and THEN head to a tuner who does his magic via the dyno. Is that correct?

I would like to make some changes for better performance (de-restricting) but want to do it right the first time.

Last edited:
Those are incredible numbers. So you hauled the bike from Louisiana to New Jersey?

Exactly how do they do this? Keep changing the tune until peak hp and torque are optimal?

My guess is that you have to get your new low restriction pipes on, get the cat restriction out (mine is a R3T), the crossover in, the airbox mod done and THEN head to a tuner who does his magic via the dyno. Is that correct?

I would like to make some changes for better performance (de-restricting) but want to do it right the first time.
Yes it's been back and forth a few times.

Yes a good tuner will keep adjusting a little at a time until it's putting out the most power that it can. Carpenter doesn't have a sniffer so he guesses at it, and doesn't seem to care about doing a thorough job. Make sure you go where they have a sniffer.

Yes get a good flowing exhaust, and also a better breathing intake. Then get her to a good tuner for the best results with your particular setup. Speak to the tuner to find out if he can tune the ECU or if you need to install a Power Commander.

Yes a good tuner will keep adjusting a little at a time until it's putting out the most power that it can. Carpenter doesn't have a sniffer so he guesses at it, and doesn't seem to care about doing a thorough job. Make sure you go where they have a sniffer.

Yes get a good flowing exhaust, and also a better breathing intake. Then get her to a good tuner for the best results with your particular setup. Speak to the tuner to find out if he can tune the ECU or if you need to install a Power Commander.
Good advice. Thanks. You have obviously done your homework and are reaping your just reward! Thanks for chiming in. I am sure I will have more questions. It will be difficult fining a good tuner who knows what they are doing.

So the power commander replaces the ECU? Why would someone want the commander when the ECU can be so easily tuned? Curious. Can the bike be damaged by an improper tune? Who or what creates these tunes?

When I installed high compression pistons in my roadstar, I had to install a Dyna ignition module in order to be able to adjust the timing for the new pistons.

The power commander works with the stock ECU. Before TuneECU and others there was no way to tune the stock ECU. More tuners know and use power commander.
Yes you can absolutely destroy your engine with an wrong tune.
Best bet when making changes is to have a good tuner tune it.

Rick

The power commander works with the stock ECU. Before TuneECU and others there was no way to tune the stock ECU. More tuners know and use power commander.
Yes you can absolutely destroy your engine with an wrong tune.
Best bet when making changes is to have a good tuner tune it.

Rick
Thanks Rick. I have known guys who have burnt through pistons because the reworked the engine and did not rejet. In my case, I gut BETTER mpg when I scrapped the EPA junk, upgraded the intake, repiped and rejetted the carb. Went from 42 to 51. Pulled the plugs to inspect them after four years of use and they looked perfect.
I think it will be hard finding a good tuner where I live. Closest Triumph dealer is 200 miles away, but ok. I like being a pioneer and having an interesting bike.

Back