Issues with Batwing fairing on R3

Is the batwing fairing shown in the picture has an advantage while riding?

• Yes, Advantages supersedes Disadvantages

• No. Disadvantages supersedes Advantages

• Can make some changes to the fairing so that the problems reported can be avoided.

Results are only viewable after voting.
A lot of the buffeting is due to windshield height. You're right that a shorter rider poetically didn't have the issues because the height the the wind up over his head. A taller sheld may make a big difference.

It will if the screen is replaced with a taller version. I had a terrible problem with my Harley Ultra Classic Electra Glide when I bought it the buffeting was killing me and it was a real uncomfortable ride untill I replaced the screen with one 3 inches taller and wallah no buffeting at all...

I have been riding my Rocket for 12 years and 11 of them with the Corbin Fairing. The short screens do make a lot of buffeting. There are 2 ways to stop it.

1) Cut rectangular holes in the current shield down near the base just above the painted mount. Try 1.5" high by 6" wide. Be sure to radius the corners.

2) Buy a taller windshield from Long Ride Shields. Get a ReCurve Flat Top or Flat Top Elite. They are for Harley Electra Glide / Ultras.
I have it on mine. I went with the 9" since I am short. Works great for me.

Click on the words Flat Top below.
Flat Top

DSCN5608.JPG

I have a screen on my Rocket from @Ishrub
Wind was hitting top two inches of my helmet. Moved it to the lowest height setting and works really well.

On the other hand the fly screen Air hits right under the bottom of the helmet and huge amount of noise and a lot of buffering.

IMG_20180418_150125.jpg
Screenshot_20180831_115848.png

I have one on a touring, reckless motor sports brand, speed tested to the display window on the speedometer whatever that be, no issues to report

I have that fairing. I got longer bolts for the top mounts and stood the fairing up. Got a V-stream 15" windscreen for it. It's a Harley-type mount. It drives the vortex back. I added chrome eyebrows over the headlights to keep air out of the interior of the fairing. I got from ebay the fairing extensions and hot-glued them on (black gluesticks). Plastic, inexpensive. I re-purpurposed a pair of handguards and mounted them to the forks below the fairing. I'm 6'. Wind goes over, around, but not in my face. I think the wind stream from the shield scavenges air or doesn't bring it up because I don't feel heat.
643.jpg

Attachments

• 542.jpg
    542.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 26
As you can see I also have a Corbin fairing, not sure if the lowers that came on my bike make any difference. I don't have a buffeting issue, but I did notice a change last year when I replaced my windshield and got a slightly shorter one. I will be switching back to the original height windshield and expect to continue to ride without or worse case with minimal buffeting.

Back