is it safe to ride back home?

Gone??? How?? Looks just like a leaking gasket to me... sure they haven't damaged anything trying to fix it? Keep us updated...

Got to work this morning and noticed a oil leak. Already emailed my triumph dealer since I purchased this bike in march with 6 months warranty.
But I just wanted to know if it is safe to ride back home- approx 10 miles.
Thanks
IMG_20180724_075730.jpg
IMG_20180724_075739.jpg
Those two pic of the VC gasket out of place show where the leak is coming from and why.... (fastening issue). There is nothing wrong with the cylinder head. Are you sure he didn't mean that the valve cover needs to be replaced? A number of fellows stated that theirs were changed because they had warped?

Update
Just had a phonecall from the dealer. Cylinder head is gone :-( , i dont know anything about engines but sounds serious.
Awaiting decision if covered by warranty provided by dealer at the time of a sale.
If it is covered under warranty then fine. But I would be looking for a second opinion AND A LOT MORE DETAIL if they say it is not covered.

There are two excellent R3 owners up your way (Wirral-ish) that I know of - but not seen them on here for ages. Both KNOW engines well.
You could sign up on the UK Bikes&Mates forum and plea for help. ProBoards

Cylinder heads do not "go" regularly (except a couple of Renault engines) . And I can't actually recall seeing anybody complain about a head gasket leak either. Your leak most certainly appeared to be the VALVE cover Gasket and as stated some have had the cover replaced as warped.

He definitely said cylinder head . I have asked 3 times since I heard of something like that in cars. I'm shocked to be honest.
Those two pic of the VC gasket out of place show where the leak is coming from and why.... (fastening issue). There is nothing wrong with the cylinder head. Are you sure he didn't mean that the valve cover needs to be replaced? A number of fellows stated that theirs were changed because they had warped?

Sure looks like the valve cover gasket or worse case an issue with the cover itself. I just cant see that being a head gasket unless they are saying the head casting itself has microscopic cracks in it.

I'm definitely not an expert, but by what I can see in the photo's is that it looks like its seeping all around. My prognosis is bolts are lose. Change and torq and lock-tite red the bolts and I bet you will never have any more problems.

New update:
Just spoke to the dealer- they are waiting for the triumph to decide if will be covered by them or not. Dealer said if not then they will cover it.
Apparently when hot engine is releasing bubbles through the main body. Probably coolant. They called it "blow hole" and just decided it's not safe to release the bike back. Not sure if related to the valve or coincidental finding.
Looks like will not get it back any time soon :-(
Will have to wait and see.

New update:
Just spoke to the dealer- they are waiting for the triumph to decide if will be covered by them or not. Dealer said if not then they will cover it.
Apparently when hot engine is releasing bubbles through the main body. Probably coolant. They called it "blow hole" and just decided it's not safe to release the bike back. Not sure if related to the valve or coincidental finding.
Looks like will not get it back any time soon :-(
Will have to wait and see.

Funny you should mention that. I noticed some oil on the finned area around where people normally have a VC leak near the chain tensioner. I have checked it very close and it doesn't appear to be coming from the gasket. It is almost like there is some porosity in the casting and it is coming from there where the fins joint at the corner on the block. I have cleaned and absorbed all the oils from that area and I will do an updated after putting some more miles on the bike. An update will be coming.

Back