is it safe to ride back home?

I got home safely. Thank you.
Have never been riding that slow in my life lol even in a snow lol.
Haven't touched a rear break at all ;-)
Booked for next week at my dealer to get sorted whilst I'm on my holiday ;-)

Just FYI -
When it was new, and during the first season of riding I had to re-tighten most bolts and nuts frequently, as they continued to work loose.
All settled down after that time and now I re-check a couple times a season as PM.

It's just a shame they can't fix it sooner. It's another day of beautiful sunny weather ( here and believe me it doesn't happen very often) and the bike needs to stay in a garage ;-(

It's just a shame they can't fix it sooner. It's another day of beautiful sunny weather ( here and believe me it doesn't happen very often) and the bike needs to stay in a garage ;-(
Mine has been doing the same thing for about a year now (except on the throttle body side). I have retorqued the bolts but to no avail. Too lazy to replace the gasket so I carry a paper towel and wipe it down on shutdown. Funny thing is it only seeps when you rev it high, so I mostly keep the revs below 4K. My thinking is high RPM causes the cam to splash oil above the gasket thus the seep. Like others have said "a little oil goes a long way". You probably have no more than a two to three drops of oil there so ride it and carry a rag for wipe downs (as long as it is not dripping on the ground (dangerous for traction) or smoking off the exhaust pipes (stinks). Looking closely at the right side of the photo, looks like a gasket bulge causing the seep. As a temporary fix, clean the bulge area with solvent to remove oil residual and apply a little silicon to reduce the seeping. Also wipe your engine down with WD-40 on a rag before you ride as it hides the seep real well!

Last edited:
Hummm, I wonder if there is a problem with the oil accumulating up there at higher rpm's? Maybe not large enough drain passages????

I think draining oil from the head is not the problem. At high RPMs the cams splash/sling loads of oil around the cam cover which runs down the cover onto the gasket. If the gasket is not perfectly sealed, out the top of the gasket onto the engine.

After 20,000 miles the valve cover gasket started to leak on the X. At 25,000 did a valve check and replaced. During this time frame several people had posted taking their bikes to dealerships to have their valve cover gasket replaced. Now at 43,000 no problems at all. A lot of folks who took their bikes in and had it done developed leaks after a few thousand miles. Yes the job can be done rather quickly and easy to do. It is not the gasket but the person installing that causes the leaks. The factory or the dealership's method's seem to be lacking in proper installation.

Update
Just had a phonecall from the dealer. Cylinder head is gone :-( , i dont know anything about engines but sounds serious.
Awaiting decision if covered by warranty provided by dealer at the time of a sale.

Back