intermittent fuel issues

Morph1976

.040 Over
Ride
Rocket 3 tourer 07
Hi guys i have had a look around the forums and cant find the answers that im looking for so i thought i would post this thread and see if anyone can stop me scratching my fingers into my head. i have a rocket 3 classic 2007 which i have only owned for 5 weeks. stupidly as i really wanted it i bought it sold as seen without any warranty. anyway it ran great for 2 weeks until the low petrol light came on then it started riding like a bag of nuts. intermittent high idle, losing power whilst throttling followed by surge of acceleration and at other times when stopping in first gear the revs dropping to almost a stall. initially i thought that i may have sucked some rubbish into the fuel filter and it had become blocked so i took it to a garage and had new filter put in. he told me that there was a lot of crap in the tank and could have been the issue. he checked all the lines and no signs of anything else. i leave the garage and same problems so start thinking ill look at all the basics. the plugs were changed in June this year so its not that, it had a new tps in march this year so its not that either. i put redex in it which seemed to help for a day but then back to usual grumpy self and bought some 5 in 1 engine cleaner and again it seemed to help for a bit but then back to running on nuts. what i have noticed is when its running rough if i rev it in neutral to the top of throttle it will blow some black smoke out the back then after 3 full blasts of throttle that seems to stop the smoke and runs ok for a bit before running rough again and at times (im guessing when it smokes) i get a really strong smell of petrol. im running out of ideas as to what else it can be. the gasket on the rocker cover is leaking so im going to replace that at the weekend, anything else i should be looking at whilst i have the tank off? there is no engine management light on either so i don't know what it ii. it does have KN air filters which i have a receipt for (as part service history with bike) but i don't have any receipts for a remap and dont know if this has been done but i would have thought that would have caused it to happen every time rather than intermittently. any suggestions would be gratefully received or im gonna swap it for a Vespa!! :)

First, it’s near impossible to troubleshoot via the inter web, however I will give you my thoughts on how I would begin.

1. Replace the MAP sensor vacuum lines. The important thing to remember is they must be equal length.
2. Replace the vacuum caps on the throttle bodies.
3. I’d pull, clean and tighten the bite on the low tension leads to the 3 coils.
4. Ride it and see if the problem persists.

First, it’s near impossible to troubleshoot via the inter web, however I will give you my thoughts on how I would begin.

1. Replace the MAP sensor vacuum lines. The important thing to remember is they must be equal length.
2. Replace the vacuum caps on the throttle bodies.
3. I’d pull, clean and tighten the bite on the low tension leads to the 3 coils.
4. Ride it and see if the problem persists.
Thankyou, I'll give that a go

The only reliable place to get the cable;

Cable drivers and the TuneECU program itself (for Windows);

You can also download the Android version on Google Play for like €12.

Once you have it, you can check that new TPS was set correctly, and also if your vacuum readings are normal, throttles balanced etc.

The only reliable place to get the cable;

Cable drivers and the TuneECU program itself (for Windows);

You can also download the Android version on Google Play for like €12.

Once you have it, you can check that new TPS was set correctly, and also if your vacuum readings are normal, throttles balanced etc.
Thanks once more I've got one on order now, one final question before I send you a virtual beer, is it idiot proof or will I find a guide somewhere in here

I suggest you go to the resources section and study up the various sections on TPS and ISCV adjustment and uploading and down loading tunes from your ECU.

It's not a complicated program but it will take a little while to get your head around it, given that you will be using it to view live data from your ECU.

John

Back