Installing Oil Pressure and Water temp Gauges

Regarding an oil temp/pressure sensor, remove the oil dip **** light sensor at the back of the head and install a T fitting, one end goes to the dip **** sensor, the other end goes to the sender of your gauge.

For coolant temp, you have multiple options, but I think the most elegant one is to find a gauge with a scale that can be configured by the user. Then use the output of the stock sensor and feed it to the gauge.

An alternative would be an OBD2 bluetooth dongle, paired to a phone/tablet/gps that feeds all the OBD sensor data. You'll miss out on oil data. Alternatively you can use a PC-V and POD-300 to get everything you need to know with 12 gauges you can configure in one device that is incredibly convenient.

In my opinion, oil pressure is a "idiot" sensor, i don't mean that to be derogatory, allow me to explain. If your oil pressure is off enough to notice, damage is already done, it's too late. It's not a warning sign it's a symptom of damage, better is oil analysis at oil changes, it can give you a hell of a lot of data otherwise impossible to get without tearing down the motor.

Well not strictly true, you can monitor oil pressure output from the oil pump performance. As an aeroengine guy we have oil pressure monitoring systems to watch so we can shut down the engine if things don’t add up! Same with your bike engine, oil pressure varies and when the oil light comes on it’s probably too late mate! Why do you have amber lights at traffic lights? Think about it

I just want to know. Thanks @Gerald

Attachments

• IMG_0841.jpeg
    IMG_0841.jpeg
    184.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0903.jpeg
    IMG_0903.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 1
Well not strictly true, you can monitor oil pressure output from the oil pump performance. As an aeroengine guy we have oil pressure monitoring systems to watch so we can shut down the engine if things don’t add up! Same with your bike engine, oil pressure varies and when the oil light comes on it’s probably too late mate! Why do you have amber lights at traffic lights? Think about it

the rocket (older) uses an on/off switch guessing about 10 pounds breaks the contact and turns the light off.
the light on at idle may be ok just fix
light on aat 100 mph engine toast.

the rocket (older) uses an on/off switch guessing about 10 pounds breaks the contact and turns the light off.
the light on at idle may be ok just fix
light on aat 100 mph engine toast.
When we built Concorde (with slide rules) we didn’t think let’s just have low pressure red lights, we thought hey let’s have monitoring systems so we can actually do something in case of at 1,350 mph and 60,000 ft

Attachments

• IMG_2049.png
    IMG_2049.png
    532.7 KB · Views: 11
Back