Installing Oil Pressure and Water temp Gauges

Idaho Red Rocket 3

Living Legend
Ride
2006 RIII Standard Bagger w/Fairing
I want to install an electric oil pressure and water temp gauges. Been looking at gauges, cups, adapters and other paraphernalia to do it. Have any of you guys done it ? What did you use ? How did you hook it up ? Got pictures ?

I want to install an electric oil pressure and water temp gauges. Been looking at gauges, cups, adapters and other paraphernalia to do it. Have any of you guys done it ? What did you use ? How did you hook it up ? Got pictures ?
Been thinking about doing this too. How about a writeup with plenty of pictures when you do it. :)

S300.gif

Gamin Mechanic HD with Eco Route. Plug antenna into UBD port under side panel. it transmits to GPS unit whichever gauges you want. Up to 5 gauges at a time.

Gamin Mechanic HD with Eco Route. Plug antenna into UBD port under side panel. it transmits to GPS unit whichever gauges you want. Up to 5 gauges at a time.
Garmin's compatibility list for the Mechanic doesn't list any Zumos, so I guess it's only made for the car/RV units?

Regarding an oil temp/pressure sensor, remove the oil dip **** light sensor at the back of the head and install a T fitting, one end goes to the dip **** sensor, the other end goes to the sender of your gauge.

For coolant temp, you have multiple options, but I think the most elegant one is to find a gauge with a scale that can be configured by the user. Then use the output of the stock sensor and feed it to the gauge.

An alternative would be an OBD2 bluetooth dongle, paired to a phone/tablet/gps that feeds all the OBD sensor data. You'll miss out on oil data. Alternatively you can use a PC-V and POD-300 to get everything you need to know with 12 gauges you can configure in one device that is incredibly convenient.

In my opinion, oil pressure is a "idiot" sensor, i don't mean that to be derogatory, allow me to explain. If your oil pressure is off enough to notice, damage is already done, it's too late. It's not a warning sign it's a symptom of damage, better is oil analysis at oil changes, it can give you a hell of a lot of data otherwise impossible to get without tearing down the motor.

Back