Because I'm big.... I'm tall AF. I run 3 to 5 psi more in the back tire.
46/36 for me.
Imo unless you have a precision air gauge (usually more than $200) just do what the bike says it needs. The pressure you are using could be as much as 5psi off depending on the gauge and how long it's been used.
I have 7 gauges all of them high end and 4 cars and bikes that have tpms on them. I have crossrefferenced them all including costco air pressures and various air pumps around my area, 3 air compressors.
I have an itch I tried scratching. Bottom line, there is no constant unless you can calibrate against inches of mercury.
My $400 air gauge build is exactly 0.075 +/- my make shift Hg" all the way up to 80psi
Well I'm here to tell you the air pressure amongst all those tools I have is about 11psi off. The most agregus are the tpms units you screw on.
My milton gauge (both of them are 4psi off low, my iGaugeing gauge is 2psi off high.

Tldr:
It makes no difference, heat, use, tools and what not can fluctuate the psi by almost 10psi.

Set it at stock, if your not happy with wear, go higher. Otherwise your chasing a dream.

Rant over

I think 42 is too high. I'm guessing the manufacturer is covering its ass in the event of a blowout due to high, sustained speeds, in hot weather. If you ride like that, then 42 is good. Otherwise, at 42 there is less rubber contacting the road and therefore less grip for braking and cornering, not to mention a stiffer ride. I don't go above 36 and I'm 215 lbs. However, too low and you will wallow in high speed turns. So it really depends on your weight, whether you have a passenger, and how you ride.

I think 42 is too high. I'm guessing the manufacturer is covering its ass in the event of a blowout due to high, sustained speeds, in hot weather. If you ride like that, then 42 is good. Otherwise, at 42 there is less rubber contacting the road and therefore less grip for braking and cornering, not to mention a stiffer ride. I don't go above 36 and I'm 215 lbs. However, too low and you will wallow in high speed turns. So it really depends on your weight, whether you have a passenger, and how you ride.
Thanks for info. I'm 210 so close

the better less asked question is not what tire pressure is for this bike... but what tire pressure is for this tire.
ALL manufacturers have a pressure performance over load within reference to longevity (UTQG)
the vehicle makes no difference.
Its a bit harder to look up but when you dont have a direct answere its the only way to know. My work van is custom and has dual rear's. I just looked up the tire load pressure rating for my expected load and divided by 4 (dual rear wheels) instead of the standard 80PSI, i actually want to run 67 psi unless i put over 2000 lbs in the back. It helps to know WHY the tire pressure is what it is vs guessing that the sticker on the door or swingarm is correct. Do you think that the 1985 tires on my nighthawk when it was new need the same air as the metzlers i put on it in 2022? NOPE Im sure if you go over to the darkside forums you could find more about this but again, just air it up to 40 and ride on unless your some track nut with a 1/4 PSI sensitive gauge. IMO its not the pressure, its the rider.

the better less asked question is not what tire pressure is for this bike... but what tire pressure is for this tire.
ALL manufacturers have a pressure performance over load within reference to longevity (UTQG)
the vehicle makes no difference.
Its a bit harder to look up but when you dont have a direct answere its the only way to know. My work van is custom and has dual rear's. I just looked up the tire load pressure rating for my expected load and divided by 4 (dual rear wheels) instead of the standard 80PSI, i actually want to run 67 psi unless i put over 2000 lbs in the back. It helps to know WHY the tire pressure is what it is vs guessing that the sticker on the door or swingarm is correct. Do you think that the 1985 tires on my nighthawk when it was new need the same air as the metzlers i put on it in 2022? NOPE Im sure if you go over to the darkside forums you could find more about this but again, just air it up to 40 and ride on unless your some track nut with a 1/4 PSI sensitive gauge. IMO its not the pressure, its the rider.
Best I remember, max. air pressure and weight are on the side of the tire and also single or dual ratings.

My rule of thumb is aim for the recommended pressures but never more than that. If it's a couple of psi below then chillax....it should be fine wet or dry, quick or slow.
If you're going for the land speed record then that's a different story.

Regarding weight of rider..... have you ever weighed yourself with all your gear on (inc. crash helmet) ?
It's surprising just how much more your weight is, don't you think?

Best I remember, max. air pressure and weight are on the side of the tire and also single or dual ratings.
Mostly... that actually means at full temp the tire will see during road use should not exceed max pressure listed on the tire and at the gwvr of the vehicle. 40psi on a smaller tire like a motorcycle can easily jump up 10psi at its highest temp it should see out on a hot road at full send.
6 years of autocross experiance of running 8 to 9 psi lower than what I want to have after my 2nd lap. I am adjusting tire pressure each lap till I can sometimes get a good lap time or FTD.

Max load rating of the tire should be matched to the vehicle so gwvr pr the max load rating is about the same unless you are going with non spec tires.

Back