Front tire options?

Depends on how you prefer to ride .
If you are a twisty lover of the hoon, get THE BEST TIRES possible.
If you never push the limits of the Rocket, avoid weather, and cost is primary then anything that fits will suffice.
The majority of my riding is straight roads with little curves. Unfortunately, when I left the rocky mountains, the southeastern states are very flat. I ended up with an Dunlop American Elite 140/75r17 for the front. But about a week after I posted this I blew the 4th-5th transmission gears. I have a whole different engine that should be going into it this weekend assuming I have all the time I need to remove the rest of the frame, swap electronics, and start to reinstall all the parts.
Adam

Good luck with the transplant!

Remember the oil sender at back of head, Phillips screw in the worst possible location....

An overhead lift will make your life a lot easier to lift the frame off the engine! Doing it my way, where you lower it out is...a PITA.

The majority of my riding is straight roads with little curves. Unfortunately, when I left the rocky mountains, the southeastern states are very flat. I ended up with an Dunlop American Elite 140/75r17 for the front. But about a week after I posted this I blew the 4th-5th transmission gears. I have a whole different engine that should be going into it this weekend assuming I have all the time I need to remove the rest of the frame, swap electronics, and start to reinstall all the parts.
Adam
A couple years ago I was asking the same question with an emphasis on improving handling. I was having to use much more effort in steering my '06 Classic through all the mountain curves here in San Diego County than I thought necessary. 1olbull recommended running a Michelin Road 5 backwards on the front. Well, I thought he was NUTS(he probably is ;):laugh:) but I tried it anyway and to my great surprise that tire turned my bike into a like new sweet handling machine.

1olbull, thanks again! :):thumbsup:

Last edited:
Good luck with the transplant!

Remember the oil sender at back of head, Phillips screw in the worst possible location....

An overhead lift will make your life a lot easier to lift the frame off the engine! Doing it my way, where you lower it out is...a PITA.
Unfortunately, I don't have a lift. But I stripped it all the way down and the only thing left on it is the forks and headlight. It's going to have to be enough even if I have to play with the frame to get it off and back on. I plan on swapping all the electronics I can over to the new engine as it was a Florida bike and all the aluminum and steel have either rust or corrosion on them. But I dont have any info on the oil so I am going to have to prop the frame up once its installed and drain all the oil that may or may not be remaining in the engine.

A couple years ago I was asking the same question with an emphasis on improving handling. I was having to use much more effort in steering my '06 Classic through all the mountain curves here in San Diego County than I thought necessary. 1olbull recommended running a Michelin Road 5 backwards on the front. Well, I thought he was NUTS(he probably is ;):laugh:) but I tried it anyway and to my great surprise that tire turned my bike into a like new sweet handling machine.

1olbull, thanks again! :):thumbsup:
I ended up with a larger front profile because it is supposed to handle slow speeds better (sub 10mph). While I dont mind the stock front, the turning radius is not great and my work parking lot is just big enough to be considered a parking lot.

I ended up with a larger front profile because it is supposed to handle slow speeds better (sub 10mph). While I dont mind the stock front, the turning radius is not great and my work parking lot is just big enough to be considered a parking lot.
Hmmm, not sure (but, maybe?) that is correct- as far as low speeds. I do know that a larger profile lengthens the rake and is more stable at high speeds. A smaller profile shortens the rake and improves handling in the curves, so I would think that would also apply to slow speed maneuvering . 🤷🏼‍♂️

Hmmm, not sure (but, maybe?) that is correct- as far as low speeds. I do know that a larger profile lengthens the rake and is more stable at high speeds. A smaller profile shortens the rake and improves handling in the curves, so I would think that would also apply to slow speed maneuvering . 🤷🏼‍♂️
I took the opinion of several threads that I read on here. This tire has a more rounded profile, allowing more of a drop-off once you approach the edge of the tread. The standard tire was quite round and when you pushed it to full lock, it took a solid 2.5 parking spaces to turn. This one supposedly has a good drop off, shortening the radius at low speed. I could be wrong but thats what I have read over and over prior to buying this tire.

Back