Mostly... that actually means at full temp the tire will see during road use should not exceed max pressure listed on the tire and at the gwvr of the vehicle. 40psi on a smaller tire like a motorcycle can easily jump up 10psi at its highest temp it should see out on a hot road at full send.
6 years of autocross experiance of running 8 to 9 psi lower than what I want to have after my 2nd lap. I am adjusting tire pressure each lap till I can sometimes get a good lap time or FTD.

Max load rating of the tire should be matched to the vehicle so gwvr pr the max load rating is about the same unless you are going with non spec tires.
I think we're talking different uses and conditions. Racing usage doubt tire get a chance to cool off, just keep building heat, normal usage tire heats up but also cools down. Last I remember, they recommended check and airing tire in morning to what you wanted and then leave it alone, for normal usage and riding. I remember running wrinkle walls at 8-12 psi, yrs. ago.

The tires on my motorcycles, and even my cars for that matter, state the max recommended pressure COLD.
Says so right on the tire, so the manufacturers must take into account the increase in pressure as the tire heats up.
Yes... at full load so that the temperature does not become too high. I'm not great at regurgitating information, maybe I misspoke my intent. Yes you are definatly correct.

Front tire should be 36+. Under that will cause cupping on Metzler 150/80 quickly and can cause front a wobble. By 32 on the front, I always felt the wobble.

Rear tire should be: whatever feels best and is below the max rated tire pressure.

Lowering rear will cause it to heat faster, get hotter, grip more and wear faster. If you don't get slippy rear end syndrome at 42 going lower is just throwing money away. At 36 it's very grippy and I still get good life (but my Rocket was 710lb fueled/wet). At 32 even more grip but it does wear quickly at 32. Below 32 it feels too squishy to me and feels like it's pivoting around the rear tire too much.

Last edited:
Back